Need Help Identifying a Silkie's Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OneCrazyCowgirl, Dec 30, 2012.

1. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I have absolutely no idea how to tell a silkie's gender.

Here is Sandy, she/he is 2 1/2 Months old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    She/He also appears to be a non-bearded silkie, is that true?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would say non bearded, but a guess on gender would be just that. Silkies can be tough to sex.

3. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Looks non bearded, my guess would be a boy but can't tell with the pics of the comb.

4. I have a SIX month old silkie that is the same size as that! Isn't that crazy!? I don't know what gender mine is either, but good luck!

5. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow that is crazy!
    What is a big indicator on sex with silkies? I can check and post more pics if needed.

6. It's hard to tell on silkies till later.

BTW where are you in Texas! I'm in DFW!

7. eggorthechicken

eggorthechicken The Henabler

Apr 29, 2012
    Wayne County WV
    I have a hatchery black silkie who I assumed was a male lowest on the pecking order because I never heard him crow....then one day he laid an egg :0) now SHE lays almost every day and is sitting on 3. I think sometimes its easier to tell from a breeder stock...the heads are more pronounced which is how I could tell my others and I was correct in those.

8. brimjohnson

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    I had a buff silkie I got at 6 weeks old hoping it was a girl. He just started crowing one day lol. But I noticed as he got older his pointed hackle feathers and saddle feathers. He also had a more pronounced comb... even though they have the walnut comb i could tell it was a little big. So thats how I tell now... i pick the silkie chicks with the smallest, flattest combs. Good luck!

9. brimjohnson

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    try to post a closer up picture of its comb if you can

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My guess is boy.

Looks bearded, but in an awkward stage. I bet it will be bearded or partially bearded at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by