1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help identifying breed and gender of these Bantams

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by monkeyboysnana, Aug 9, 2013.

1. monkeyboysnana

monkeyboysnana New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Hi, my housemate left these newer birds with me after he moved out of state. I am having difficulty identifying them, though I've found a few "maybes". Any help appreciated. I know the darkest one is a rooster, at least i think it is- heard him crowing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    All of them are roosters, sorry.

The light colored ones with feather legs are Mille Fleurs, the ones with beards and clean legs look like they could be from somebody's bantam ameraucana project but with the off-color on their necks, might be easier to label them as bantam easter eggers- people can be pretty sensitive over correct labeling of araucana, ameraucana and easter eggers.... it's because of a long history of misinformation over those breeds.

3. monkeyboysnana

monkeyboysnana New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Thank you, I am not surprised. He's very anxious to get his hands on birds, and some in the past turned out to be all roosters. I am going to try to sell these or give them away if I must. But certainly don't want to advertise hens if they are not. At least I guessed right on the Mille Fleurs. saw some very pretty pics of them online. Thanks again!

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Good luck in disposing of those.

If you'd like hens, it's possible to get or order chicks that are already sexed or buy POL(point of lay) pullets... but be aware that sometimes people will sell young roosters as hens, either intentionally(to get rid of them) or not.

And welcome to BYC!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, advertise them as mille fleur d'uccle and bantam easter eggers.

6. monkeyboysnana

monkeyboysnana New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Thank you all for your replies and the welcome. I will try to sell them as advised, or give them away. I have learned from watching my former housemate to be careful of who to buy from. I think out best, and they are all hens, came from TSC. I helped raise those. I'm thankful he left all the birds here though. I've become quite attached. Now I can spend some time fixing up their barn, and hopefully, find a way to let them free range without eating my garden. Yes, the others have found they like green tomatoes, and cukes of any size. I'm sure I'll be around here a lot to learn and share pics and stories.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by