Need help identifying breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Majikthise, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Majikthise

Majikthise Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Thank you for any help! My guess is Bantam cockerel and Langshan pullet they are both two months old. Found them free on craigslist

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The pullet does look like a Langshan, but the rooster looks like a mix.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your pullet appears to be a Langshan. However, your rooster is a mixed-breed.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't think that hen looks at all like a langshan. She looks like a young adult bantam hen. The rooster is a mixed breed bantam rooster. The hen may be a bantam "breed", I'm not good with bantams so will let someone else chime in to her parentage. Langshans are large. leggy birds who don't have that long tail or low set wings.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The hen does have the feathered legs, black plumage, single comb, and blackish legs of a Langshan. However, I agree that the hen's type isn't that Langshan like, so she could very well be some sort of feather-legged bantam mix. A Langshan is just the closest match as to what she could be.

6. Majikthise

Aug 19, 2013
    the albc mentions under the breed that "Some breeders bred toward a shorter legged version much like the Shanghai in type. These shorter legged birds ended up being used to help create the Orpington chicken breed and contributed to the development of the black variety of the Shanghai chicken. In Germany breeders emphasized the long legs and bred for legs free of feathering. This line became known as the “Deutchman” or “German Langshan”. In England, one group of breeders also emphasized the long legs, losing the large breast and the type becoming more akin to that of the Modern Game. These are now known as the “Modern Langshan”." maybe that can help to identify them.

They are both probably some mix. The black one jumped an 7 to 8 foot fence today lol. they both kept jumping on my husband and I while we were working to just sit on our shoulders like parrots. Is that normal? they didn't peck or anything, just chillin. I am so new to chickens. We have had rabbits for over a year though

Thank you for your reply

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Langshan pullet, the cockerel is a mix.

8. Majikthise

Aug 19, 2013