Need help identifying breed

Majikthise

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
Thank you for any help! My guess is Bantam cockerel and Langshan pullet they are both two months old. Found them free on craigslist

Last edited:
I don't think that hen looks at all like a langshan. She looks like a young adult bantam hen. The rooster is a mixed breed bantam rooster. The hen may be a bantam "breed", I'm not good with bantams so will let someone else chime in to her parentage. Langshans are large. leggy birds who don't have that long tail or low set wings.

I don't think that hen looks at all like a langshan. She looks like a young adult bantam hen. The rooster is a mixed breed bantam rooster. The hen may be a bantam "breed", I'm not good with bantams so will let someone else chime in to her parentage. Langshans are large. leggy birds who don't have that long tail or low set wings.
The hen does have the feathered legs, black plumage, single comb, and blackish legs of a Langshan. However, I agree that the hen's type isn't that Langshan like, so she could very well be some sort of feather-legged bantam mix. A Langshan is just the closest match as to what she could be.

the albc mentions under the breed that "Some breeders bred toward a shorter legged version much like the Shanghai in type. These shorter legged birds ended up being used to help create the Orpington chicken breed and contributed to the development of the black variety of the Shanghai chicken. In Germany breeders emphasized the long legs and bred for legs free of feathering. This line became known as the “Deutchman” or “German Langshan”. In England, one group of breeders also emphasized the long legs, losing the large breast and the type becoming more akin to that of the Modern Game. These are now known as the “Modern Langshan”." maybe that can help to identify them.

They are both probably some mix. The black one jumped an 7 to 8 foot fence today lol. they both kept jumping on my husband and I while we were working to just sit on our shoulders like parrots. Is that normal? they didn't peck or anything, just chillin. I am so new to chickens. We have had rabbits for over a year though

Thank you for your reply

Last edited:
http://www.freewebs.com/gregwilliamsbrahmas/blackbrahmabantams.htm this maybe?

rant.gif
< my little one wanted to pick an animated smiley face to put in the comment

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom