Need help identifying breeds of 30 day old chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by zookyla, Jun 17, 2010.

1. zookyla

zookyla Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Santa Fe, TX
    Hello,

I work at a zoo and we recently purchased a mixed batch of fancy Bantam chickens from Murray McMurray hatchery for our petting zoo/farm yard. We have been able to identify almost all the breeds but two. These chicks are a little over a month old. Any help would be appreciated!

[​IMG]
    We are trying to identify the black and white speckled(?) one in the center and the black and brown speckled ones in front of it (the ones closest to the shoe).

[​IMG]
    Here's a closer shot of one of the black and brown chicks.

I can try to get better photos if that would help.

Thanks!
    Carolyn

Oops! I was wrong... they are not Bantams.. supposed to be standard size chickens.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    black and white looks like a barred rock or a cuckoo maran. I am not too much of an expert, but you will get more answers here. Pretty birds [​IMG]

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Well if they are really bantams.................

The one looks like a black sex link and the barred a dominque but i didn't think they came in bantams????? the one closest to you that is gold and black looks like my sicalian buttercup. i love mine...............

ok, after looking in book it must be a male barred plymouth rock bantam (barred)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  4. zookyla

May 21, 2010
    Santa Fe, TX
    Thanks for the info! I just found out I was wrong. They are not bantams, they are supposed to be standard size chickens. Sorry for the misinformation.

5. zookyla

May 21, 2010
    Santa Fe, TX
    We have identified the Buttercups, very curious birds. These are some of the first ones that come up to you when we go in with them. [​IMG]

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    the one center looks like my Golden Campines

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Judging by the rose comb, the black and white ones are dominiques. The gold and black ones investigating your shoe are gold-laced wyandottes, I think. They also have rose combs. I'm also seeing black cochins, with the feathers on their feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by