1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help Identifying .... Cuckoo and Black Copper Maran?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PoachiesMom, Jun 22, 2011.

1. PoachiesMom

PoachiesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Got some new additions to our flock a few weeks ago. Was told these two were hens - one cuckoo maran one black copper maran - but beginning to wonder..... Can anyone help??? Black one has green sheen to feathers and white tips on wings. Legs are black and clean. Black/white has pale legs and blue/green eyes. I am guessing (based on size) that they are around 8 weeks old but may be older - they were not very healthy (still in quarantine) so might be a bit stunted. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    They both look like cockerels to me... [​IMG] sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    at least it looks like they told you the right breed just not the right sex [​IMG]

4. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    also [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. PoachiesMom

PoachiesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    I was kinda suspicious of the cuckoo being a boy but I was thinking maybe the other one was a hen but not a maran.... can you shed some light on what clued you in?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by