Need help identifying my chickens breed and gender.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Harrishenhouse, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Harrishenhouse

Harrishenhouse New Egg

Dec 5, 2008
    not sure what I have. I should have written it all down, but didn't. If you can help me identify what they are I would appreciate it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    1. Silkie
    2. Silkie
    3. Barred Rock or Cuckoo Maran mix
    4. Leghorn
    5. Welsummer (possibly)

Depending on age, I think you've got a few hens there. The first silkie may be a rooster, but I don't know @#[email protected] about those birds. LOL

Welcome to BYC.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I would agree...think that #3 is probably a mix...#5 sounds good might be a game bird hen...think you could convince them to pose [​IMG] ...welcome! Looks like you need some more [​IMG]

4. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    I would agree that Shellie is correct.
    And yes #3 looks like a Cuckoo Maran mix to me (hen) the only reason I would say "mix" is due to the gold color feathers she looks like she has around the neck. Bet she will lay you some pretty brown eggs.

~Tiff~

Oh, and [​IMG]

5. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Agree with all but the last bird. Looks like a light brown Leghorn pullet. (from the photo looks like she has white earlobes.)

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Yeah, I said possibly because I wasn't certain. She's a lighter build but has the same coloring.

7. Harrishenhouse

Harrishenhouse New Egg

Dec 5, 2008
    okay I tried again. Here are a few more pics. Thanks for your help. The first one is the same hen/roo? but multiple times....i was hoping for all hens but none are laying...i've tried the light but still no eggs...i am just puzzled...are they roosters? they don't crow but i could have swore i heard a little cock-a-doodle a few mornings ago. when i went to find out who it was they looked at me like i was crazy. any ideas/help?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/19439_chickens_059.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/19439_chickens_055.jpg[/img][/URL][/URL]

8. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    hehehe! She has white earlobes! Light Brown Leghorn! Whoop!

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The only one I think could possibly be a roo is the silkie. I don't know silkies at all, but the rest look like pullets. The white leghorn is for sure - pullets have floppy combs, and cockerels have straight.

10. Where does one get these light, medium brown Leghorns. I realy like the way they look and I am guessing the lay pretty well ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by