1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help identifying new hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by maureenmulvey, Apr 6, 2016.

1. maureenmulvey

maureenmulvey New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    Sparks, Nevada
    I just picked up this hen from a friend of a friend trying to downsize her flock. Does anyone have an idea what breed she is? [​IMG]

2. Vedwards

Vedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    It looks like a Brahma.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Single comb, clean-faced, and feathered legs means Cochin. Looks like Silver Penciled coloring.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    coloring is very odd

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'm gonna go with Cochin cross... it seems to have way too long of a tail, skinny of a body, and messy coloration for even the most off-standard hatchery Cochin.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 Queen Misha

7. CenLaChicken

CenLaChicken Out Of The Brooder

We are new chicken owners. Got a male & female Blue Laced Red Wyandotte from a relative, and then I bought this hen from a local guy. He didn't really know what she is. Y'all have any idea? I'm thinking a mix with mostly Red Sex Link, but I'm very much a newbie. She lays a medium to large beige to brown egg every single day. Her name is Bernadette. She is the single hen shown in middle, top row, of this photo. Thanks for any thoughts! :)

[​IMG]

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Hi there! For future reference, the best way to post queries about breed or gender are to make a new thread for them. We are happy to answer your questions, but responding to multiple folks on the same thread can get confusing! Your hen is a mixed breed, possibly with Leghorn influence given the skinny body and white lobe. That's a very unusual trait, actually - almost always a hen with white lobes will lay a white egg while one with red lobes will produce brown, but your hen appears to be one of the rare exceptions to that rule.

9. CenLaChicken

CenLaChicken Out Of The Brooder

Thank you very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by