Need help identifying # of day for chicken egg (Incubating)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HayHayComet, Oct 13, 2019.

1. HayHayComet

HayHayComet Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Medway MA
    Hello All!

I am new to Backyardchickens as well as to owning/raising a flock of chickens. A couple of weeks ago, our Silkie Roo was killed by a hawk. In an attempt to carry on his legacy and have a piece of him still with is, we are hatching some eggs. We are down to one survivor, who I believe is doing well. I set egg on 9/24. According to what I’ve read, we should be on day 19. Although there is some great information regarding hatching/incubation/candling, etc. I am having trouble identifying what day, according to many charts/pics of embryo development, this egg actually is. I started the eggs in a homemade still air incubator with a bulb and water to create humidity. I then ordered an incubator (Magicfly), when most eggs were ceasing mid-development, approx. 10 days in This last surviving egg has been holding on and we’re determined to do everything we can to have a successful hatch! It did have some damage from what looks to be a hen peck to the air cell end of the egg. I applied plain candle wax in attempt to repair, which seems to have helped, since the damage appears to have expanded but stayed intact. Incubator has been set between 99.5-101 degrees Fahrenheit and between 45-55% humidity. Have had difficulty regulating temp/humidity throughout. I have placed 3 devices (gauge, probe, digital) temp and hygrometers because I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m still learning but I just feel like the development does not appear to be appropriate in size for being day 19; seems too small? I would greatly appreciate advice regarding:
    1. Approximate # of day this egg may be? (according to development seen in pics/video).
    2. Is air cell appropriate size for # of day? What is needed to encourage air cell growth.
    3. Should I be leaving wax on damaged part to the end or remove when egg goes into lockdown? It’s a very light layer.
    4. Appropriate temp/humidity up until lockdown and last 3 days of incubation.
    Thank you all in advance and I look forward to learning and sharing to come!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    AllenK RGV likes this.
  2. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    I know nothing, but want to wish you all the best with your hatch!

3. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Let's ask @Pyxis , she's one of our incubating experts!

janiedoe, Pyxis and HayHayComet like this.
  4. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Actually, my apologies to @Pyxis, I think I should have said she is THE incubating expert here... I am still learning who's who around here *blush*.

@HayHayComet, @Pyxis has written a very thorough and helpful article on hatching, complete with pictures, that you will no doubt find helpful. I'm sure she'll post the link for you, I'm not computer-savvy enough to do it.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  6. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict

Welcome to BYC! Congrats on building your own incubator. I do not have any expertese to offer as you have gone well above and beyond anything I would. @Texas Kiki @RUNuts and @007Sean would be my go to guys.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't know about the incubator you bought. What is your humidity? Your temp seems ok. If the temperature ran a little high the chicks can hatch a day or two early and if it's low a day or two late. Have you calibrated your thermometers. Also the hygrometer could be off a little. If you incubate at too high of humidity that can affect the hatch. Lower humidity is good for incubation because the eggs need to loose some moisture during incubation. I have had successful hatches in an homemade incubator I made with a styrofoam cooler. Please give up a progress update. Good luck and have fun...

8. HayHayComet

HayHayComet Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Medway MA
    Thank you so very much @BigBlueHen53 for your help!

janiedoe, BigBlueHen53 and AllenK RGV like this.
  9. HayHayComet

HayHayComet Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Medway MA
    janiedoe and BigBlueHen53 like this.
  10. HayHayComet

HayHayComet Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Medway MA
    Appreciate your reply @AllenK RGV!

janiedoe and AllenK RGV like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: