need help identifying our new addition

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by notafarmer, Dec 28, 2012.

1. notafarmer

notafarmer New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    this beautiful creature came to our house 2 weeks ago and has made a nice home in our garage. It follows my husband around after he saved him from the next door neighbor's dog. The dog ripped out its tail feathers. They were a beautiful greenish color. They are starting to grow back now. He is the funiest little creature. A HUGE personality. Our problem is not kowing if he/she is a hen or rooster. My bets are rooster- he is so beautiful. He has waht I now know as saddle feathers- I think, a greenish-blue sheen on feathers, and tail feathers that curl up- remember many are missing in this pic from dog attack. He does not have the red thing under his chin though.
    I also had him "cock a doodle dooing" for the first time the other day in response to talking to him. I had no I idea I could speak chicken. Any ideas on gender and/or breed. We have become super attached.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's an easter egger rooster.

The sickle feathers are the ones you're talking about that arch up and over, the actual tail part. Saddle feathers are the feathers in front on the tail that drape down, on him they look to be white or light colored.

3. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    EE (Easter Egger). But he is a boy :).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    What a beautiful bird! Looks part Americana to me ( the beard :) ) Now I only have hens, have never owned a rooster before, but I do believe your chicken is a rooster. I think this because of the prominant colors, how protective it is toward your husband, and the tail feathers.

5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    EE rooster. He is gorgeous! Wow, what a beautiful guy. [​IMG]

6. notafarmer

notafarmer New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    Thank you. I wish I could take credit for picking out such a beautiful bird but he seriously just showed up in our yard. We live in a neighborhood so I am not sure where in the world he came from. I have been waiting for an egg or two but the more I read and the more I played with him the more I began to think that eggs were NOT going to happen :) I never thought I would fall in love with a darn chicken- well rooster. Thanks for the reply

7. SkylaSilkie

SkylaSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Florida
    My Coop
    He's a rooster for sure. [​IMG] I can see because most roosters are very large, no matter the breed.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that is 3000% EE rooster

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A single rooster by himself can make a decent companion animal. The crowing could be an issue, though.......or you can get him some girls to keep him company!

10. kitmarlowescot2

kitmarlowescot2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    You might want to check on craiglist, or see if any local farmers has that sales pullets that are ready to lay, or older 18 month to two year old hens, that you can keep for a few eggs and companionship for your EE rooster. The older hens you shouldn't have to pay much for, or even get for free. Seven to ten hens will keep him a very happy boy. Don't get another rooster for him as companionship because since they weren't raised together they would fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by