1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help identifying some hens and a rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrsfarmchick1, Dec 29, 2010.

1. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    Can someone identify these 4 hens and 1 rooster (he's from a different source). I got them in the fall and don't know what breed they are, the hens haven't started laying eggs - what color eggs will they have? Thanks in advance for any help you can give... [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    the roo looks like either a black giant or australorp.giant is supposed to have yellow skin on the bottom of the feet and australorps have white skin on the bottom.
    really need better pictures of the hens,preferably one whole side body shot of each individual hen.what kind of comb do they have (a pea comb,straight comb,rosecomb) and do they have feathered legs?
    nice little flock you have there:)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. mrsfarmchick1

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, here are better pics.

4. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    do they all have feathered legs?i can't really make out the combs,what do they look like?

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Just from looking at the second set of photos...I'm not sure you have 4 hens. Looks like at least one more cockerel, the one in the middle, and possibly the other blue bird next to it.

6. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:yeah,that one with the birchin looking feathers?hmmm...thye all look cochinish/brahmaish
    the light blue one-what is her comb-she looks to be a she

the light blue and the buff definately look like girls-the other 2 are questionable at this point.

close up pictures are good-loke this one
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    In the second set of pictures, the two darker blue birds are roosters. All of the "hens" are brahma crosses from what I can see in the pics. They are right though, we need better pictures.

And yes, the black roo is either a JG or Aus.

8. mrsfarmchick1

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    Thanks for the input. Great, now I have more roosters then hens -figures!

9. Peepfreak59

Peepfreak59 Out Of The Brooder

I had the same thing happen to me, more roosters, I had bought at a swap. I do believe it is the way it works when hatching too, always more boys than girls.... Ps I have to agree with the above comments!!

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    In the 1st pic what color is the bottom of his feet? That will tell the diff between JG and BA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by