Need help identifying the breed and sex of these 3 ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmosceola94, Nov 12, 2014.

1. jmosceola94

jmosceola94 New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    I'm new to raising ducks. I bought these three at an auction last weekend. I believe they are muscovy but I just wanted to check. I'm not sure how to sex them either. They hiss which I thought would mean male, but they also fly which I was told the males usually don't do, nor do they have much caruncles on their faces. Thanks in advance. Jessica.

[​IMG]

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Yes they are muscovies. How old are they?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  3. jmosceola94

jmosceola94 New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    Honestly I'm not sure about that either.

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Can you get a closer pic of their faces? They look female as far as I can tell from the pic, but a closer one would help. Males really do have much larger red caruncles and it's a pretty obvious difference when they are old enough (which these look to be). Are any of them larger than the others, or all about the same size? Males are much larger than females.

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    When the three are together, are they the same size or are some smaller or larger than the others?
    They are muscovy ducks, the one closest in the pic is a black barred, then a black white head, then a black pied (I think, a little far away to see).
    The legs on the closest one look thick so my guess would be male. The black one also looks to be a male, as is the one behind it if they are all the same size.

They look young, just starting to molt out of juvie feathers into adult feathers so the caruncling isn't fully grown yet. The red will progress over the next year or so.

And they will fill out, get heavy, and not be able to fly as males are generally too heavy to life themselves too far off the ground

6. jmosceola94

jmosceola94 New Egg

Nov 12, 2014

They are all the same size. Assuming they are males, which based on what I've heard I think they probably are, Apr how old do you think they might be?

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    My guess would be 4-5 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by