Need help identifying the color of my Marans pullet!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CloverdaleFarms, Oct 31, 2011.

1. CloverdaleFarms

CloverdaleFarms Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

This is my sweet beauty Speckles. She hatched on July 29th. I hatched her and her brothers from what we anticipated to be Splash Marans eggs. I know she is pure bred. The breeder is a friend of ours and is very reputable. My friend obtained her breeding stock from Bev Davis. The eggs were all a 7 or 8 on the color scale. Parents were French Standard Blue Copper. Her brothers were both splash. This is the first time we have seen this color. Anyone have input on the name of her coloring? Is she a splash copper by chance? I have not been able to find any other birds colored like her.

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I can't help you, but I have an EE pullet that is the same color, with a slighty grayish head.

Deb

3. CloverdaleFarms

This picture did not due her head justice, but she is starting to develop the blue grey coloring where she should be copper...if she were a black or blue copper that is. Our FBCM started to develop her copper coloring at about the same age. Hopefully, someone can confirm the color for both of us! [​IMG]

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    A much better picture would help. Splash copper might be possible if it were a rooster, are you sure this is a pullet? If a pullet has this coloring where she/he does, I would question the parentage; I notice the bird is clean shanked for one. the other thing is that, (at least in the pic I'm seeing) the Splash coloring is not there. You seemingly have a white bird with buff/copper coloring on the back. Try to get a better pic or three, up close. [​IMG]

5. CloverdaleFarms

I guess the pic is worse than I thought. I am certain of parentage, sex, and she does have shank feathering. I was just hoping someone could confirm colors on her back. As of today she is 2 months old. [​IMG]

6. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
  7. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:she does?

8. CloverdaleFarms

I know it has been a while since I posted, but I wanted to let you all know that I had the opportunity to meet Bev Davis at the Lake City, Florida show in January. She confirmed that my Speckles is a Splash Copper and is the result of a Blue Copper and Black Copper cross. I think she is gorgeous. We have entered her in 2 poultry shows since and each time she took Best Variety and Reserve Breed. Poor thing keeps losing to my gorgeous Black Copper girl! Anyway, her eggs are really interesting. She lays a #5-6 egg with #8-9 speckles all over it! She is truly a gem. Thanks for all the help and interest. She is headed to another show in two weeks. I will update you all on her progress!

9. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    Here are pictures of some of my splash Marans... Mine are Helen Byers line, she has bred them to lay a very dark egg...Although yours is a unique color she is still splash.....Pretty! ~Charm1704

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CloverdaleFarms

Thanks! I can't wait to add the FBCM hatchlings to my little Marans flock! I will definately keep you updated on their progress! Thanks again![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by