Need help identifying the parents of these chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sagealbright, Feb 17, 2015.

1. sagealbright

sagealbright Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    I am terrible with chicken genetics!

I have a one day old chick and a 4 week old chick who are stumping me on who their parents are. The both hatched out of tan/light brown eggs.

I have two roos. A black cochin frizzle and a white bearded silkie bantam.

My girls who lay light brown eggs are light brahma, buff orpington, salmon faverolle, partridge plymouth rock, black astroloup, and silver laced wyandotte.

The first chick is mainly black with some gray on her and white on her face and under her chin. I hatched her out of the incubator yesterday. One of the other chicks that hatched yesterday is identical to her. She has all black skin and feathered legs, this makes me believe her father is my silkie. I'm not sure who her mother would be though. Maybe my black astroloup?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second chick is 4 weeks old. She is a frizzle so I know her father is my cochin frizzle. I'll have to take some more recent pictures of her, if she will sit still long enough. The only pictures I have are from when she was a day old and 2 weeks old. She's mainly a medium brown but her chest is lighter. Her skin isn't pink, but it isn't black like my silkies. Her legs are also feathered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sagealbright

Apr 29, 2014
    Here are some updated pictures I just took of both of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    The bottom one is a copper black marans and the top one is a frizzle

4. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    Sorry didn't realise you had the parents bit that black chick does look like a cb marans. I would say it is the Cochin x black australorp

5. sagealbright

Apr 29, 2014

Do you think it could be the Cochin even though it has black skin? It's toes are mainly black but for some reason it's one toe is pink. And it has 4 toes instead of 5?

6. sagealbright

Apr 29, 2014
    I'm thinking the older brown one may from my partridge Plymouth Rock. She's the only hen I have that is the same shade of brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by