Need help identifying these ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sarbee42, Sep 17, 2012.

1. sarbee42

sarbee42 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Morrisburg, Ontario
    I brought home these guys over the weekend from an auction and the auctioneer mistakened them for "call ducks". There is a pair of mallards and the other pair are identical in body shape but are black.. Is there some sort of genetic mutation for a black mallard? Here are a few pictures. Not great as they are really flighty. I will be finding them a more suitable home since I am set up for domestic ducks and not these guys. Any help would be appreciated!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The pictures are quite dark.

I do have some call ducks that are mixed colours and are coloured very similarly. They have a different body type though, and their bills are much smaller.

Hope someone else chimes in. Just bumping this thread for now!

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    genetics can have mutations and yes I have seen listed black, white and mallard pattern (most common) mallard ducks. Just like anything if you have a genetic oddity pop up, isolate and breed for it you can create color morphs.

4. sarbee42

Mar 3, 2012
    Morrisburg, Ontario
    Thanks! I have a friend who will be taking them and just wanted to let them know what they were. They're still young and don't even have all of their flight feathers in. I've seen other color mutations but never black. These two aren't even a nice black.. Just like a dull grey/black.

5. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    gosh they look a bit like dark campbells.

6. aoxa

That was my thought.

7. sarbee42

Mar 3, 2012
    Morrisburg, Ontario
    Way too small to be dark campbells. Those would be twice the size of these guys. I'll try and get some better pictures this morning and have my daughter help me catch them. [​IMG]

8. aoxa

My Campbells aren't much larger than my calls. Maybe 1 1/2 their size. They are really small. [​IMG] The calls are very young in these pictures (8 weeks). So they are a bit bigger now.

9. sarbee42

Mar 3, 2012
    Morrisburg, Ontario
    Here are some more pictures from this morning.
    Here is the male:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some of the female. She still has some baby fuzz on her. She's also missing her entire right wing. Looks like a pinion job done wrong [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't think they are campbells... The male can fly really well.. Had to rescue him once already and that was enough for me! They're the exact same size and shape as the two mallards that I have. Might be some sort of genetic mutation or something.

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    When we still had our SQ call ducks the Khaki Campbells were MUCH larger than the calls. Often times people don't realize how tiny true quality calls should be. We have two calls still, the female is not much larger than out Mandarin ducks bill to tail length, although she is rounder and thus weighing more.

If you have calls that are long in bill and similar size as Campbell's they are most likely PQ (or sports)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by