Need help identifying this little pest

Coconut and Co

Hatching
Dec 4, 2022
Hello fellow chicken friends, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this little pest (see picture)? They are maybe 3/16" long, dark grey/brown in color, and they like to hang out not near the skin like lice, but further up on the feathers. Especially on the head but other places as well. We're in a tropical climate. They don't seem to be affecting the chickens health wise (from what I can tell), though it's hard to tell as the days are shorter with winter and some of them are molting so they're not laying as much. Either way I'd like to get rid of them, but without the use of pesticides as we have small children, other pets and our runoff water ends up in the ocean. Does anyone recognize the bugs are? My internet searches have come up empty. Thank you!

Attachments

• Toyama_2022_2188.jpg
    Toyama_2022_2188.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 35
They are maybe 3/16" long, dark grey/brown in color, and they like to hang out not near the skin like lice, but further up on the feathers. Especially on the head but other places as well.
Poultry Wing Louse?

I'd use a Permethrin based poultry dust to get rid of them. I understand your concern about using a pesticide, but this will be the most effective method of treatment.

https://wiki.pestinfo.org/wiki/Lipeurus_caponis
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/IG140

Hello fellow chicken friends, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this little pest (see picture)? They are maybe 3/16" long, dark grey/brown in color, and they like to hang out not near the skin like lice, but further up on the feathers. Especially on the head but other places as well. We're in a tropical climate. They don't seem to be affecting the chickens health wise (from what I can tell), though it's hard to tell as the days are shorter with winter and some of them are molting so they're not laying as much. Either way I'd like to get rid of them, but without the use of pesticides as we have small children, other pets and our runoff water ends up in the ocean. Does anyone recognize the bugs are? My internet searches have come up empty. Thank you!
I live in Hawaii and have one sultan mix rooster ( a rescue from a common chicken drop off spot...so many wild chickens here!) He has these mostly on his head but in other places too. I was concerned that they are head lice, but can't find any definitive answer. I just treated him by dusting the head are with diatomacious earth and sprinkling it where he dust bathes. Have you had any luck with finding out more about them? Thanks for the photo!

Back
Top Bottom