1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help Identifying what kind of Breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mammachick, Oct 23, 2009.

1. mammachick

mammachick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    I need some help identifying what kind of chicks we have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. vandergrift20

vandergrift20 New Egg

Oct 16, 2009
    looks like dominique and rhode island red and maybe orpington

3. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I'm no breed expert, but I would definitely say you have some that are slick, and some that are healthy, and all the rest are slick AND healthy![​IMG]

You should be proud of yourself. You will be a great addition to the list of chicken addicts on BYC.

[​IMG]

4. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    the chipmunk-y looking ones look like my speckled sussex did, and the black and white one looks like my barred rock did. But I'm not an expert either [​IMG]

5. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    I'm not nearly as expert as some here, but the black one looks a lot like our barred rck did, the darker brown ones look like our rhode island red did, and the yellow ones look like our buff orpington did. The white one could be a white rock or delaware?

6. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Definitely chickens. No doubt about that![​IMG]

7. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    My guess is 1 Barred Rock and 2 Brown Leghorns. The yellow ones might be production red (the more-feathered one) and buff orpington, and I don't know about the little white one.

8. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    I agree that the brown ones look like a Speckled Sussex, that's what mine did at that age. The "white" one may be a Leghorn or Rock cross. The buff ones may be New Hampshire Reds. I had both them and Buff Orpintons as babies and the Reds were a bit darker and redder and didn't really get red until she was much older; about 8 weeks. But I agree with others that they look happy and healthy.

I need to stop looking at pictures of baby chicks or I'll just go get more. They are so adorable!

Mary

9. mammachick

Oct 15, 2009
    Quote:This may be a really dumb question, bu what does it mean that some are "slick". Does this mean they are sick?

--Newbie Mamma

10. mammachick

Oct 15, 2009
    The guy at the feed store where we got them told us we had 2 New Hamshires, 1 White Leghorn, Brown Leghorn, Welsummer, and Maran. When I started looking those up on line, some of the pictures were not matching up. If you have anymore ideas I would love to hear them, I love looking up the different breeds.w

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by