Need Help Identifying

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MuscovyMadness, Jul 3, 2016.

1. MuscovyMadness

MuscovyMadness Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    These 2 were given to me as young chicks......have NO idea what they might be. They are not full sized chickens but more bantam ( but not like true bantam ie, Sebright size).

Any thought?

Photos from today.........[​IMG]
    and the cockerel as younger chick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like a pretty pair of blue copper Marans.

Not a very usual gift. How come on one ever gives me things like this?

3. MuscovyMadness

Mar 22, 2016
    Northern Virginia

LoL. Too funny. Oh how I wish they were Blue Copper Marans but the gentleman who gave them to me swears they are out of some type if blue bantam he had (fox got her) but he doesnt remember what was out in the yard with her. He has alot if nice birds (got some Polish from him) but he's older gentleman (with health issues) and I dont think he knows what he has.

BUT.... I really like these little birds and I'm thinking about holding on to them. I would really like to know what the heck they are though.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, I thought they were an unusual breed to have and not know what they were, but ya never know.....

so, bantams and feather legged, straight combed would be Cochin blood. The shape isn't Cochin-ish at all, though, and that pink skin usually comes from Marans, Sussex or Orpingtons.

I'd keep them at least until she starts laying and see what you get.

5. MuscovyMadness

Mar 22, 2016
    Northern Virginia

Yup....quite the mystery indeed. And I think you're right. ......I should probably hang on to them. Besides, they ARE super cute! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by