Need help identifying

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luckied, Aug 26, 2016.

1. luckied

luckied Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello everyone. I need help identifying these little girls. I know they are over 3 weeks old and was told maybe they are Amerauca or sex linked?? Any help would be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Gonna need clearer pictures in natural light. Bigger red one looks like a Production Red cockerel.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

The chick standing up looks like it might have a straight comb. I haven't seen Ameraucana with that big of a comb that young,,,, unless I just have a hard time seeing pics.

Also, if you didn't get it from a breeder.... It would be an Easter Egger. All of the feed stores sell them as Ameraucana. The second one does have a chipmunk type stripe common in EE. I am unfamiliar with sex links so I cannot comment in that aspect. Where did you get them?

Best wishes.

4. luckied

[​IMG]
    Thank you, here is a different pic.

5. luckied

And 2 more pics to help. A friend bought them a few weeks ago from a local ranch/feed store, it was kinda a buy what we have left and you get whatever you get... [​IMG]

6. luckied

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The blonde head is almost twice the size of the chipmunk stripe

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I'm not seeing the right color legs to be EE. Definitely not Ameraucana.

That feed store may be able to tell you at least what breeds they had in that shipment. Feather patterns change so much still from this age. So even though I can identify quite a few breeds by looks at a later feathering stage, I am clueless. I wouldn't actually know a sex link if it laid an egg on my head! [​IMG]

Still, your babies are beautiful. It seems harder to me to raise very small groups of chicks because they are a little less adventurous. But I think there are pluses and minuses to both larger and smaller flocks.

Are you having a great time raising them? Part of the fun is seeing if the chicks were mislabeled as sexed or certain breeds as they grow up. I often end up with not what I though from the feed store. Right now I have at least 1 if not 2 alleged pullets that have long tail feathers and the wrong comb for their breed.[​IMG]

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Smaller one could be a bantam. Old English Game maybe. Bigger one is definitely a Production Red in my opinion, likely a cockerel with so much comb at 3 weeks.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Gray farms

10. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    X2 with all above!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by