Need help ID'ing a turtle

Big Dreamer

Songster
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
Central, FL
I live in florida, and my cousins ALWAYS find turtles on the side of the road..well my uncle found this little guy and gave it to his 2 daughters. 10, and 7. they didnt have a light, a 1 gallon tank and the water is always freezing. they have had this thing for over 5 months and its still small, no growth what so ever. Well they didnt want it anymore so they gave it to me, knowing i already have 3 turtles. Hes is the cutest thing ever!! His name is Jam, Jammer, Jammers, Jammy, JamJam, and Little Jams. I thought he was a Terrapan, but when i looked them up they only looks half like him. My dad said Florida map turtle..but that looks nothing like him. So anyone have an idea of what he could be? Thanks!!
66006_picture_297.jpg

66006_picture_296.jpg

66006_picture_298.jpg

Edited to say: His skin is actually white..with black dots, and his shell has really big Black knobs

Last edited:
Is there any way to get better pictures?

My top two guesses from the pictures provided are Black Knobbed Sawback and Black Knobbed Map turtle.

Poor guy...I wish people wouldn't pick up wild turtles. I hope you get him on the right track.

I just looked those two up, and they dont look like him...His knobs are rounded and the lip of his shell is smooth not rigged...Oh and i will. I have a UVA and UVB lamp, filter 55 gallon tank cork for basking fake plants for hiding a huge drift wood decor thing thats REAL, 2 three striped mud turtles and a soft shell turtle, and now him!!

I would say diamondback terrapin
smile.png
that would be my guess..... honestly from the pictures he might be having some softshell issues going on. Hope you can get the little guy some color back to him and little fat
smile.png
He sure still looks like a hatchling! But it could be the picture!

No hes def that small, he was living in a TINY tank so i bet it stunted his growth, i talked to a biologist that spent some time in floridas wetlands and he said Terrapin, so i guess i have my answer!

Back
Top Bottom