1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help IDing Fuzzy Baby

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mommy2Blaze, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mommy2Blaze

Mommy2Blaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dalton, GA
    Ok so I am new here and posted and intro post too. I have 10 babies now, 6 of which I am almost sure are wyandottes. One black bantam of some sort and 2 itty bitty chicks that I have no idea about. The one I am asking about though I thought was a silky but then I read silkies have 5 toes instead of 4 and this one only has 4. She does have dark skin though and very "furry" feathers. A lot are still coming in so she doesn't look as fluffy as she is going to I am betting. I had to bathe her because she had yuck stuck in her foot feathers and it was grossing me out lol. She wasn't thrilled with that till I wrapped her up in a warm towel then blow dried her haha. She rather liked that part. Wasn't thrilled with the photo shoot either and let me hear it. But anyway, I don't know if she is a boy or girl either but that doesn't really matter as we are thinking of getting a cage and keeping her as a house chicken. I like her...a lot! [​IMG] Anyway, I would appreciate any help I can get. This is the first time I have ever had chickens and they really grow on you.[​IMG] You will like the one where she is yelling at me lol. Oh yeah, she was purchased from TSC Mar 1st so I would say she is right at a month old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    Black skin means its probably silkie or silkie x.

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    ^^x2

4. Mommy2Blaze

Mar 25, 2011
    Dalton, GA
    So if it is a silky cross that could be why it has only 4 toes right?

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I've seen a few "hatchery" silkies that only had four toes, or the fifth toe was so small that you couldn't see it under the fuzz. Definitely looks silkie-ish to me.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think she is a silkie cross but even pure silkies can have 4 toes , it just means they aren't show quality.

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    It is probably just a hatchery silkie, silkie feathering is recessive and would not show up in a cross. [​IMG]

8. Mommy2Blaze

Mar 25, 2011
    Dalton, GA
    Awesome! Thanks so much you guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by