Need help IDing my mystery chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bookspryte, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Bookspryte

Bookspryte Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Earlier this year, I placed an order through Cackle to be delivered to the local mill where I buy my feed. All was good except they sent me silkies instead of cochins. No problem. They sent the cochins with the next order. Of course, they send me an extra one and then added another 6 packing peanuts. Needless to mention, I brought home all 17.

I've figured out most of my mystery chicks. I got a silver sebright, a EE cockerel, a pair of buff cochins and another pair of chickens that don't seem to match anything in Cackle's catalog. I'm stumped and could use some help. I think it's a cockerel and pullet, but I'm not sure. One is definitely larger than the other. Both are getting a pea comb.

I'm going to apologize for the quality of the pictures. These guys move faster than my cheap digital camera can focus. Also, I'm wondering if the sebright is a cockerel or pullet.

Here's the mystery bird:
    [​IMG]

And here's the sebright:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help,
    Denise

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Can't help you .. but here's a bump!

Pretty birds!

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    sorry, no help from me either....beautiful birds though!

4. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    sebright I think is a pullet 'cause of the small comb and wattles. the first bird is an EE pullet in my opinion.

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

How old are these birds? I'd guess EE for the first one, too, and probably a pullet for the sebright.

6. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I'm guessing EE on the first; you said a pea comb.

I don't know about the Sebright--they are hen-feathered, so we'd need better pictures of the comb.

7. Bookspryte

Bookspryte Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. The birds are about 5 weeks old. I'll try to get some better pics, but those little guys are quick. [​IMG]

I have two chicks that look like the first one. One is slightly bigger than the other, both have a pea comb like an EE cockerel, but neither have a beard or green legs. I'm stumped.

I'm hoping the sebright is a pullet. So far she doesn't have any comb at all and no wattles. All of the other chicks (mostly cochins) are beginning to show signs of some comb. Keeping my fingers crossed that she's a little girl.

8. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Not all EE's have green legs or beards and muffs--I have two; neither have green legs and only one has a beard.

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:x2

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The mystery bird is a wheaten color? Maybe you have a Amercaunia(sp).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by