1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Need help IDing "Mystery chick"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mystery Chick, May 22, 2008.

1. Mystery Chick

Mystery Chick In the Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what kind of chick my "mystery chick" is? I ordered some chicks from McMurray Hatchery that inculed a free exotic rare breed "mystery" chick. I have narrowed it down to two possible chicks, one of which is a female white orpington.

Here is a picture of the one I think is the white orpington-
    [​IMG]

Here is the one I think is the "mystery" chick-
    [​IMG]

Anyone know what it is?

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Hey Mystery [​IMG] and congrats on being the newest member! Sorry, rare breeds aren't my thing- anyone else?

3. Mystery Chick

May 22, 2008
    Hi Envirogirl11! Thank's for the welcome! I should also mentione that they are drty from standing under the perches, and neither one has any brown or yellow coloring:p
    Just white and grey, with blue/grey tinted legs. The chick in the second pic has longer wings and tail feathers, and the first one is more compact (thicker body) and more grey coloring [​IMG]

4. Mystery Chick

May 22, 2008
    Any ideas anyone? Someone said they thought it might be a different colored phoenix, maybe a blue duckwing phoenix, or a white phoenix?

5. GloriaH

GloriaH Songster

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I think the white orp would be the lighter of the two. They sure are cute!...Gloria

6. Mystery Chick

May 22, 2008
    Any more guesses about my mystery chick? Please!! [​IMG]

7. Look at the feathersite.com and look at the adults along w/chicks, look at and read about leg and bottom of feet coloring. I just spend a half hour to figure my 10 from the school hatch are most likely all three types of EE (easter eggers, araucana, ameraucana) while 6 are black and 4 are red.

Look at the links posted for further identification from the breed pic/info from the feathersite, too.

8. Mystery Chick

May 22, 2008
    Ok, I will check out that site! Thanks [​IMG]

9. Mystery Chick

May 22, 2008
    look at and read about leg and bottom of feet coloring.

I couldn't find that info, do you have a link?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: