Need help ID'ing Snake...(Eats baby birds)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Teresaann24, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    So I have a wild bird that comes every year and lays her eggs and hatches her chicks in a concert block it has a whole in it and its real tall and deep inside. My girls wanted to see the baby birds inside we could hear chirping so I took a picture I noticed some of the babies had died or something because it use to sound like a bunch of babies crying and now I could only hear one. Much to my surprise when I pulled my hand out and looked at the picture... I have looked at all the Eastern Ky snakes and it looks like none of them. I am worried it will attack my two brooders outside.

Any ideals what it is?
    [​IMG]

2. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    We don't have that snake (Mississippi) but I can tell you this, it is not poisonous.

3. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    we caught a rat snake yesterday in my coop, ate all of my eggs for the day... protect your babies:confused:man and chicks! It's snake time again!

4. Back_Yard _Chickenrancher

Back_Yard _Chickenrancher New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    I don't know what Kind that is either but I have found Deer netting on the fenceing will trap them it is like finger torcher for them they can't get past their ribs and they can't back out it either because all their skin backs up on them so they are trapped till I kill them.
    Now if they don't go after my girls I leave them be to eat the mice and stuff we may have round here but in the netting they are fairgame...

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  6. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Quote:Mam, I believe what you have there is a sub adult rat snake. It looks like a black/grey rat snake intergrade. They inter breed where their range overlaps. For example in the western part of our state we have the black rat snake. South and east we have the yellow rat snake. In between we have an intergrade called the greenish rat snake. It is difficult to be positive with the limited shot. Also the scales are seperated with the stretched skin from the swallowed birds. It is also the most likely candidate. Elaphe obsoleta. Are you in eastern, western, central etc., Kentucky? I will look back at it later and see if I can tell by the scales.

7. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

If it all possible a picture of the head is the best way to identify what it is..

Im very sorry you have to deal with this.

I killed a a copperhead with my shoe because it was heading towards my pet chickens ( as dumb as it sounds, i knew if i got bitten i could throw a belt around my leg like a tourniquet and head to the hospital which is 5 minutes away versus if my pet got bitten there would be nothing i could do)
    Adrenaline works wonders as courage [​IMG]

8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I am in Eastern Ky

9. SentryFE

SentryFE Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Looks like a King Snake.

10. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote:Mam, I believe what you have there is a sub adult rat snake. It looks like a black/grey rat snake intergrade. They inter breed where their range overlaps. For example in the western part of our state we have the black rat snake. South and east we have the yellow rat snake. In between we have an intergrade called the greenish rat snake. It is difficult to be positive with the limited shot. Also the scales are seperated with the stretched skin from the swallowed birds. It is also the most likely candidate. Elaphe obsoleta. Are you in eastern, western, central etc., Kentucky? I will look back at it later and see if I can tell by the scales.

I second that! I've seen very similar ones coming in my duck house for eggs. Plus I raise rat snakes [​IMG]

Meant to add, here are some of the ones I've caught here:

[​IMG]

Belly shot
    [​IMG]

Head Shot
    [​IMG]

THERE'S MY EGGS!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by