Need help immediately please- stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aimeeinwv, Sep 13, 2010.

1. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

My 7 month old polish rooster keeps twisting his neck to the side and looking upward through one eye, he's the loner of the group, the only Polish so he lives with the people (his place is right on the front porch.. his room is bigger than mine!) nice fella and we love him. He is kept from the others due to crest plucking. Crazy hens! They have to live in the pasture.. he gets to live in the yard, with the good bugs that are alllll his! He has 2 cats that he is buddies with too.

he has run away a couple times, so I wondered if he had gotten into something?

It started with a "tick" about 1 1/2 weeks ago, now when you pick him up his head turns nearly 160 degrees and faces upwards. When I hold him I have to hold his head up or it just falls over and he hangs it.

I can tell there's something that seems nuerological (sp?) but what can it be? I've been reading til my eyes are ready to fall out. Botullism, Mereks (he was vaccinated from Murray McMurray) or a stroke? Can I treat him?? No vets here will treat chickens sadly.

He does not act sick, is eating and drinking fine. Just can't hold his head up right... and it falls to one side at all times now, seems almost like a stroke!
    He has been on a mission for 8 months for love, now he has hens and a best buddy coming Wednesday... we need to get him better quick!

the pics are dark, but I just took them. Doesn't really show the lean.. but you can see a little bit.

Thank you in advance. This little fella means a lot to me. I could stand to lose every chicken I have (all 200!) if I could only have him be ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I think this is called wry neck and I think I read that it can be from a vitamin deficiency. You might try looking that up. Hope it helps.

3. adbayer

adbayer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    i have a little gal that i call my "stargazer" she lays her head back on her back, or hangs it to the side kind of like your little guy... she did it bad for a while, but seemed to grow out of it (now she is very ill, and back to doing it... ) it just baffles me!!!
    i have no answers, but i do hope your little guy recovers soon!

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with paddock36, sounds like wry neck. This can be cured with vitamins. I believe it is vitamin E but not totally sure. Do a search for wry neck in the posts.

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
  6. aimeeinwv

Thank you so much each one of you. I am going to try this right away... headed to the store for some Vitamin E!!!

7. aimeeinwv

OK - So I read up on wry neck especially in the Polish Breed. It does say that if the crest feathers were plucked out that there could be possible brain damage that causes it. To try vitamins for 1 week, if it's not better, then it's the brain damage and the bird is not going to recover :eek:(

Also, it discussed wry tail. He has had this since he got one! Poor guy. I'm going to try my best to cure him!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by