Need Help-Impacted Crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jajika, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Hi Everyone:

One of my sweetest birds has an impacted crop--I believe. Her crop is round and hard and from everything I've read, this seems like the problem.

I found her this morning sitting away from the other chickens, sluggist, making little sounds. She let me pick her up---which she never, ever has.

I felt her chest and she has a hard, large lump.

I read that some warm olive oil mixed with a little water given with a long tube eye dropper may help, so I did this five minutes ago.

I massaged her crop. Supposed she should vomit the problem up, but nothing so far?

What are the next steps, please?. .

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Thanks for the URL. This is where I got my idea of using a little olive oil and water.

She was just sitting in the small coop and made no effort to come out, although the little door was open.

After I gave her the olive oil and water I massaged her crop. Put her back in the small coop. I went inside the house for about 15 minutes and when I came out she was outside walking a small bit.

She is not eating or drinking thought. She kind of stands around and walks a bit.

It seems, what I have read, I should do the olive oil and massaging her crop again.

Then tomorrow give her some ACV and yogurt?

This is the routine I'm gleaning from other posts.

Geri

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, lots of massaging the crop and hopefully you will break up the impaction an it will pass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by