Need help in IDing my Central Tractor rescues

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by woodmort, Jul 11, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Briefly: When I lost 15 of my 18 chickens to a weasel last March I was a bit dismayed. Given that most of the chickens were 5 - 6 years old it wasn't that tragic from a management stand point since I had already ordered replacements to be delivered in May, it just meant we'd be buying eggs all summer. A couple of days after I had caught and disposed of the varmint I was in Central Tractor to pick up some cat litter and notice they had 8 Assorted Pullets left from their annual chicken sale. Feeling sorry for the chicks huddled in the corner of this big watering trough I offered the girl $10 for the lot although a couple of the yellow ones didn't look like they were doing well. To my amazement, she agreed so I took the chicks which were obviously 3 different breeds home--she had no idea what they were. There were 3 yellow chicks, 2 blackish ones and 3 that were mottled (the gal said they looked like chipmunks). While I usually am pretty good with chicks within 2 days 2 of the yellow ones went belly up--I expect from being over handled and traumatized in the store. The rest are fine and have now joined my 3 remaining adult hens in the chicken yard.

Now the problem: I've had experience with a number of breeds of chickens in my checkered career but I'm not sure exactly sure what these are, especially the "chipmunk" ones. I know, eventually, I will be able to figure it out but I'd appreciate some help now if someone has an idea from the photos below.

Oh, BTW when I came home with these my wife gave me heck for doing it with 30+ chicks on the way but when I pointed out that these would be laying a month or more earlier than the shipment she asked why I didn't get more. (My wife eats at least 3 eggs a day and avoids store bought eggs as much as possible.) Since in for a penny, in for a pound, I went to another feed store and bought the last 4 golden sex link chicks they had. [​IMG]

I'm fairly sure, having raised a few of them as a kid that this is a RIR. While, I suppose it could also be a NH (which I'd prefer) they are less common and apt to show up in CT.
    [​IMG]

This is the remaining yellow chick. I'd guess a leghorn but she looks blockier than what I remember from the leghorns on my buddy's chicken farm. The other RIR or one of the golden crosses in the rear.
    [​IMG]

Now this one is one of the "chipmunks" and I'm at a loss. Since I've no experience with wynadotts I'm guess there. They all have the white mottling on their faces. What say you?
    [​IMG]

Here are all three breeds with one of my 2 remaining EE's in the background.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You posted one picture twice.... but I'm gonna hazard a guess at Speckled Sussex for the "chipmonk" you referenced. And I think you're right about the NHR.

I guessed more to see if I'm right than to display any great knowledge. [​IMG]

3. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Couldn't get the program to let go of that one picture, finally got it right. Sussex would be a new breed for me. My only guess would be that in these places like CT they'd sell fairly common breeds that hatcheries would have in quantity.

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I see a RIR in the first picture.

I don't think the white chicken is a leghorn but I don't know what it is... white rock maybe? Red sex link in back.

The third picture is a speckled sussex in front and a red sex link in back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by