Need help in renovating and old chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by schizms, Mar 15, 2013.

1. schizms

schizms New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    https://picasaweb.google.com/saman.qadri/Coop?authkey=Gv1sRgCJyOy97Sodi0qQE#5855523934385410690

I am a complete novice but dont want to spend 100's on a chicken coop. I'm considering getting this skeleton from someone for really cheap and then want to fix it up. Any ideas on how to turn it into something hen-friendly and what are the elements that I need to add in before ordering my hens. Please help me as I have no experience in keeping hen or carpentry for that matter, but really want to start.

Thanks guys!

2. Masonicflock

Masonicflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    Springfield, Tn
    Will your Chickens be able to roam? That will play a big part if they are going to have to stay in that 24/7. Will need sides most definitely to handle and protect the chickens from the elements and predators. Depending on how you do your walls will determine if you will need to add ventilation ports or not.

3. schizms

schizms New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Yes they will have a big backyard to roam in. Its windy in my backyard but pleasant, we live in Santa Barbara. There are two floors. The top floor will be nesting and resting right? And the bottom floor for feeding. Where do I place the feed and water and how many hen do you think would fit comfortably in here? What would be your recommendation on the clean-up system? Just wood chips i sweep off or a tray?

4. Masonicflock

Nov 4, 2012
    Springfield, Tn
    Since they are going to roam the top floor doesn't have to have Nesting boxes or area in it but it will prolly be a plus to have one or two in it just for the chickens. It looks to be a 5'x4'x3'?? My biggest coop (have 3) is a 4'x6' and it holds 12 full chickens and 3 guineas. How many chickens do you want will depend on how well it works. Alot of formulas and math out there for how many chickens per feet squared in a space blah blah blah... Rough guess if you are doing regular full sized breeds would be 4-6 if is that measurement I guesstimated but it does look smaller so hard to say. Depends on how you run your roost poles. 4 may be best bet to start off with.

I would put feed and water on the bottom or outside where they roam. I don't have anything inside the coops except straw and nesting boxes tho all mine roam and so I put additional places to lay about for them. Plus they will find a place they like you wouldn't expect.. You could leave the wire floor in and just let the droppings fall straight through to the ground. but if they don't get to roam much can be an issue. A pan would be useful if you don't take the wire floor out or cover it up. Chips may work but have never tried them.

5. schizms

schizms New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    So will i place the roost poles on the top floor only or distribute them between both floors. This may be a dumb question, but the poles are for sleeping right? Also when you say roaming, does that mean you let them out in the day and have them sleep in the coop at night? Do you think I need a Run in the coop from top floor to bottom floor? DO you make sure they all get into the coop at nights?

6. schizms

schizms New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Wow 4-6 regular sized would be nice! 5 would be a great number, though I was thinking of getting Bantam's to make sure they fit.

7. Masonicflock

Nov 4, 2012
    Springfield, Tn
    No worries since Terminology is different in different regions. Yes the roost poles are for sleeping at night tho I have a couple who sleep in the coop floor. You can also put a pole in the bottom just so they can perch during the day. Yes I let mine out every morning and they go wherever they want to. I live out in country so my biggest worries are predators (hawks, owls, dogs, etc). Usually they roam bout 4-5 acres on normal days. I work nights nowadays so my fiance closes them up and all. I would suggest a run or pen at first so that when you do start letting them out it is easier to train them to go up at night into the coop.

You will have to help a few stubborn ones into the coop at first so a pen makes it easier to catch haha.. Now are you only going to do the run in the bottom of the coop? that can mean less full sized birds if you don't let them have more area to roam (maybe a dog kennel fence 10'x10' etc) Since I don't know the exact size of the possible coop or how you want the coop it will be a good idea for you to browse other coop designs or look at some personally to get an idea of what you like and want to do. Plus I can't tell you how many since I don't know how big you will make it.

Also if you let them out of the pen/run to roam in your yard do it in increments to have less headache. We did half an hr before dark each day and then bump up their time to a couple hrs then half day til I let them out and we shut the door at night. Patience is key and research helps alot. there are threads on here for just bout every state so search for your home state thread and you may find others closer who can help out more also.

8. schizms

schizms New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Thanks so much for all the advice! Im so excited. We have a baby and think she would love it too as she grows older. Sounds like you have a wonderful setup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by