Need help in sexing cochin and araucana chicks & are they frizzled?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by upmycreek, Jun 4, 2012.

1. upmycreek

upmycreek In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hey everyone,
    I really need some input and any guesses. I have 11 just turned 4 week old chicks (7 cochins and 4 araucanas) that I need to sex because I am giving 4 or 5 to my best friend who is not allowed to have roosters. I know that it'll be a guess either way but I have no clue how to even start guessing. I also don't know if the cochins are frizzled or not. I would really appreciate any input and as always thanks in advance!

Bantam Cochins (7 chicks)

(Cochin) Chick 1 (first born and first feathered)
    [​IMG]

(Cochin) Chick 2 (think this is a rooster because it has little waddles coming in and its comb is bright red)
    [​IMG]

(Cochin) Chick 3 (smallest chick from the smallest egg)
    [​IMG]

(Cochin) Chick 4 (smooth feathered possible rooster... only because it has a redder comb than the other grey chick)
    [​IMG]

(Cochin) Chick 5
    [​IMG]

(Cochin) Chick 6
    [​IMG]

(Cochin) Chick 7 (the chick to the right)
    [​IMG]

Araucanas (4 chicks)

(Araucana) Chick 8 (this chick was very sick so it is a lot smaller then the other 3)
    [​IMG]

(Araucana) Chick 9
    [​IMG]

(Araucana) Chick 10
    [​IMG]

(Araucana) Chick 11
    [​IMG]

Almost everyone... they spooked at the flash...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    cochins all are frizzled except for 4 and 5

1, 2 and 4 look like cockerels but for the most part its a bit to early to tell

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    9,10,,4,2,1,6 possible roos

4. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i know for sure that 2 is a cockerel though lol looks just like my mottled did and he got wattles and now his comb and his wattles are huge. you can see him in my cochins album and i only have 2 of them a partridge and him. the boy should be about 9 weeks and the girl is about 6-7 weeks old if i remember right

5. upmycreek

upmycreek In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks everyone. It sounds like I have a lot of roosters. Can you keep more than one rooster together or will they fight? I'll have to research this. Thanks again!

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If you give away 4 hens, you're gonna have almost all roosters. You can keep more than one rooster together, especially if they've grown up together, but each rooster is going to need his own harem of hens or there will be fighting. Lots of frizzles in there too. Remember you should never breed a frizzled bird to another frizzled bird. It will result in a genetic super brittle feathering which will break off and leave only feather shafts.

BantamAshley likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: