Need help in South Jersey - flock viciously attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Extension36, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Extension36

Extension36 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    South Jersey
    I believe a raccoon got into my coop. All seven girls attacked, heads scalped, some had faces bitten, missing beaks. Only one killed - carcass left without the head. i don't know how to handle the three that are in very bad shape - I can't kill them. I'm beside myself. Will pay if you could help. I'm so sad

2. motherofducks

motherofducks New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Contact your closest 24 hour avian vet. Unfortunately this is going to be expensive to attempt to keep them alive but there isn't too much you can do at home if the damage is that bad. They will be able to provide euthanasia services for you, if you would like to pursue that option. I'm sorry this happened to you. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show pictures of wounded. You may have to perform triage so resources can be concentrated on those that are more likely to survive.

4. Extension36

Nov 19, 2008
    South Jersey
    I will see if one exists but I dont think I could afford euthanizing 3-4 birds. I appreciate your reply very much. It's a very urban area here so I don't know of any avian vets but I'll see what I can find. This is so awful I'm sick over it. Thank you again

5. Extension36

Nov 19, 2008
    South Jersey
    Seriously? Can you save a Bird that lost its beak?

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Depends on level of damage.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss and the other injured birds. [​IMG]I would start by cleaning their wounds, stopping any bleeding with styptic powder, cornstarch, or flour, and putting antibiotic ointment or a wound spray (like blue kote or veterycin) on the wounds. Make sure they're in a clean, warm place, too. Offer water with vitamins/electrolytes in it if possible and give them any food they will/can eat: moistened chicken feed, mealworms, fruits, vegetables, applesauce, yogurt, etc. You may need to force feed or tube feed and water any of them with faces/beaks too severely damaged to eat on their own. If the damage seems too severe or a bird seems really in pain, humane culling would probably be preferable.

With such severe injuries as it sounds like your hens have, they should also get antibiotics to help prevent infection. Tylan50, Tylan200, Baytril, and oxytetracycline/terramycin are all possible antibiotics. Due to new laws, though, most antibiotics need to be purchased with prescription from a vet, so you may need to contact a local vet and ask if they can prescribe anything for you.

Chickens can live with beak and face damage, depending on each bird's resilience, care, and condition. This is one story of a hen who lost a major part of her beak and lived: PLESE HELP!!!! Chickens beak got bit off

8. motherofducks

motherofducks New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    I work at a 24 hour vet that treats birds in an urban area! definitely take a look you might be surprised what you find around you! usually for animals that are in really poor condition and euthanasia is a clear choice (as it sounds like it may be for your birds) we don't charge exam or ER fee at my office but just for the euthanasia itself. Just so you have a pricing idea, it ends up at just around $100 for all 4 birds where I work.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    All effort needs to be in two things. Securing coop so predator cannot get back in. Characterizing damage and treating if possible next. Feeding can wait. Mammal bites frequently lead to infection so if trying save bird, then get antibiotic laced water into it. Initially I would not use electrolytes.

10. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    So Sorry for your loss. You have been given good advice. Sometimes it looks worse when you first see it. Be warned that if it was a raccoon (and it sounds like it was) it will come back and even bring friends. So be prepared.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by