1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help in understanding a behavior

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kathysue, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Kathysue

Kathysue New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    Hello- I am a home rehabber for ducks and was recently given a single Black Bellied Whistler who is now about 6 weeks old. Because we were afraid that she/he would imprint with me, we contacted Metzer Farms and ordered 2 female and 1 male Mallard hatchlings. The babies are now about 8 days old. I have not put them together yet- the babies are in a plastic see through container. I let the whistler out of her/his container and she/he lays right next to the plastic container and looks at them for hours. Occasionally, she/he will stand up and put his head in the container and start to nip at them. They move away but I am so afraid that if I put them together he will hurt the babies. Should I just wait until the little ones are a little larger before I try to put them together? Will the Mallard ducklings imprint with the Whistler by just being able to see her/him for several hours a day? Thanks to anyone for their help.

Kathy

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You can for sure try and introduce them.....Ducklings are physical ......They touch, taste everything.....I believe it is only seeking the contact of other Ducks..........Try it......I am almost positive it will be fine........

Cheers!

3. Kathysue

Kathysue New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    Thanks so much for the quick response. I will try to put them all together today.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Make it a Fun time...Water and veggies to share......Ducklings love to play.......

Cheers!

5. Kathysue

Kathysue New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    I introduced them last week and everyone is doing great. Initially a little nipping on the babies' tail, but that soon stopped. I can't say that they "cuddle" together, but everyone does get along. I separate them at mealtime because the ducklings are on starter and whistler on maintenance. It has been cold so have to keep them inside- whistler doesn't appreciate it because he can now fly a little bit. Thanks again for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by