need help integrating small flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by klen, Jun 27, 2011.

1. klen

klen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    PacNW
    I need to talk this through. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to integrate the two small flocks I'm raising. Right now I have 3 2 week olds. I have 6 more day olds on the way late next week. So they'll be about 4 weeks difference in age. These 3 will be old enough to go to the coop because it's warm enough here and I'll raise the other 6 inside for another 4 weeks. So the older 3 will be 8 weeks and the younger 6 chicks will be 4-5 weeks when I need to introduce them.

Here is my set up.
    coop and run
    [​IMG]

you can see the run a little better. It's 6 feet out from the coop
    [​IMG]

and this area is going to be fenced off and they'll have run of this area during the day and they'll be in the yard when I'm home in the evening
    [​IMG]

I don't have any cages and I don't think the coop is big enough to put one in anyway. Now should I put up some chicken wire in the run area and leave them that way during the day for a whole day and they can get used to each other? Is one day long enough? How would you introduce them? I'm a little concerned about how this is going to go.

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  3. klen

klen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    PacNW
    thank you. I'll try to look for a used dog crate. Sounds like that's the best way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by