Need help introducing a new duck to a flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KaylaRivers, Apr 25, 2017.

1. KaylaRivers

KaylaRivers New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    My family currently has an adult flock of 2 male rouens and 1 female pekin. I recently rescued a female baby mallard out of a gas station parking lot. I have been keeping her in the house to stay warm and separated since she is still a duckling. We wanted to find another duck for her so she would have a companion before introducing her to our existing flock but we have not been able to match any up in size. When the duckling is big enough will it be safe to indroduce her to the flock alone? Any advice on how to get our existing flock used to her?

2. Abriana

Abriana Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2017
    my blue coop
    It can be very hard, almost impossible to integrate one bird into a flock, but you can put a run inside the pen and put the duck inside so that the other ducks can see her, but cannot peck her. Soon they will accept her. Maybe think about a few more to integrate with her, it will be much easier on the duck and you. Hope this helps!

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I successfully introduce Ducks singly all the time with no issues....Breeding season is not the right time to do it though...You have two Drakes and one Hen....Not good...Do you know what sex the Mallard is..? You say hen but are you sure?.....

Cheers!

4. KaylaRivers

KaylaRivers New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    Leaning towards female but not completely sure. We won't be introducing it until he or she is the same size as the existing flock so by then we should know. Thanks!

5. KaylaRivers

KaylaRivers New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    I'm hoping to find a couple more similar in size to her so she'll have company in case she can't get along with our existing flock. It's just so hard to match them up, first she was too small to match up now she's just too big. The search continues! Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by