Need help lowering humidity for duck eggs in the incubator.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dark Angel, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    I'm on day 5, and my humidity keeps running high. It is running 70% to 74%. I understand this is to high. How can I drop the humidity down safely? I was thinking trying to suck some of the water out, but the grid holes are almost to tiny to stick anything in. Advice, and help appreciate!

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

You're right, that is too high for this point in incubation. What kind of incubator do you have? Can you open the (air) vents?

I've had to soak up water with sponges and paper towels before to reduce the humidity, but I've been able to get to the reservoirs/channels. There are additional suggestions here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/698082/how-to-reduce-the-humidity-in-my-incubator.

Best wishes for a successful hatch!

1 person likes this.
  3. Dark Angel

Jun 14, 2016
    Little gaint 9300 with fan. 4 Thermometers the built in 1, 1 inside, 1 dry bulb, and 1 wet bulb.

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Twist a paper towel and stick through grid hole to absorb the water out. Or you could stick a lot of q tips down through the holes to soak it up.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Simple... set a clean towel down next to the bator and take all the eggs out, empty out the water and replace the eggs... they'll be just fine out of the heat for a little while as you dry it out... my broody ducks go off their eggs for a couple hours quite frequently without issue... :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Dark Angel

Jun 14, 2016
    That is what I ended up doing. The humidity is little high, so I opened the vents. Going to let it drop lower, add alot less water, and check every hour or so to see how it's doing. Temp is holding at 90° with the vents open. Don't think it should hurt for a while. Thanks.

7. Dark Angel

Jun 14, 2016
    Thanks

8. Dark Angel

Jun 14, 2016
    Thanks to all who answered, I tried to reply to each of you, but it didn't post individually. Thanks again, I appreciate it!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Always leave one of the vents open if not both. The eggs need air/oxygen. I run dry (30-40) until first internal pip. Then I add water and keep the humidity 70-80.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by