Need help, male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tcoli0546k, Aug 18, 2013.

1. tcoli0546k

tcoli0546k New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    We have 2 beautiful and loving orpingtons and would like to know the sex. we are in the market for around 5 to six more but want to make sure we have only females. any help would be great! thanks[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old are they, and where did you get them? The red and white one is not an Orpington. It looks more like a Red Star (also called Red Sex-Link). The other one could be a Splash Orpington, and, if younger than twelve weeks or so, I think you have a rooster. It just have a very large red comb, thick legs, and roosterish stance.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry, neither of those birds are Orpingtons. I agree, knowing where you got them (basically, did they come from a hatchery or private breeder) and how old they are will help figure out what they are. The red/white one has the basic coloring of a sex link hen, but the coloring is off and it looks like a mixed breed. The white bird looks male, and either a mixed breed or one of the layer hybrids I'm not familiar with.

4. tcoli0546k

tcoli0546k New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Thanks for the input! Ill take all the help I can get. These two came from a local farm, ( my wife took my daughter and surprised me when I got home with the two chicken.) I have always wanted to raise chickens and look forward to taking care of many more. We just built a 4/8 coop and are about to create a 20/10 run off of that. The owner of the farm said they were buff orpington and was not sure of the age. A couple weeks on the farm and now 3 at my home. Once the new coop and pen are in place how do you suggest matching breeds and where to buy from. Should I wait to take the white on back or just pull the trigger and take him back.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Those are Red SLs, and you can see their number one feature at action: gender easily ID'ed by color. Males are mainly white, while females are mainly red/orange. You have a pair.

6. chikinluvr12

chikinluvr12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    looks like a hen. Feel the sides of legs. There are tiny little nubs if its a cock

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Both sexes have the spur bumps.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:All chickens have spur bumps, regardless of gender. Eventually males tend to develop bigger ones, but that's after a year or so of life. There will be other more obvious signs of male-ness first.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All chickens have spur bumps. A cock only grow recognizable spurs when it is seven months old or older. Up until then, its legs look like that of a hens.

10. chesterbarton78

chesterbarton78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    England
    Would say all cockerels

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by