need help managing a silkie's crest in the off season

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
I have several silkies that will be shown this spring. they have huge crests. i have trimmed which helps them find the food but as it gets closer to the show I won't want to do this. can i put the crest in an elastic band or what do others use?

Nothing with any degree of success. The pink hair tape or even surgical paper tape can be wrapped around to hold it up, but I've had limited success with them keeping it in. I have used baby hair rubber bands before but again...not extremely successful.

Quote:
pink hair tape- what is this?

51So1nDpllL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There are several brands, but this is one.

Yes, it is still made. Vet wrap does NOT work; it slips right off
sad.png
The latex bands for ponytails, dog ears and pig tails work sort of okay.

Really, you are better to selectively trim just the feathers that block level vision.

I'm not sure how long your birds have been roaming within their area, but regardless of what you do for now, they should eventually learn where their food/water source is located. Ours are pretty much helpless, too. It took us some time/trial and error to get them to know their stuff, but they now can find where everything is. I also had a friend with a totally blind hen (not a Silkie) who was subjected to living in a very large, very spaced out run each day. She knows where her food and water is and has a pretty normal quality of life.

Quote:
I am amazed at how fast they grow back, or I just didn't trim very well the first time. it's been maybe 4 weeks and I need to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom