need help my baby duck is sick

perrytheduck

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 25, 2014
so he is very weak, kinda walking to his water bowl but he wont eat, i had him on new years day idk how old he is my brother them found him. but i had him since new years day hes been doing good til one day i saw his left eye become crusty looking i took him a shower in baby shampoo still his eye looks the same now he can barely walk and wont eat. i gave him salt water nd tried giving him papayas nd kept him warm can anyone help me plzzzzzzz

Shouldn't be giving a duckling salt eater.. .they can not osmoregulate on salt water at less than 2 seems old and would need to acclimate to allow the supraorbital gland time to develop.

Clint

Try giving him some vitamin drops, either small bird vitamins from the pet shop, or polyvisol (the one WITHOUT IRON) from the drugstore (baby human vitamin drops). Just a drop or two on the bill. Hope it's better. Is it a pekin duck? I have had experience with them that they have a hard time getting enough vitamins. Still, vitamins seem to help a lot of ills in baby ducks.

Also, vetricyn is wonderful. They have one for eyes, but you can use the spray to clean out the eyes. It's pricey, but once you get it, you may need it a lot, and can use it for a while. It's wonderful stuff.

People told me its a runner duck hes avatar photo... but i gave him niacin nd baby chick feed he seems hes not getting better he looks like hes gasping for air

He looks like a Pekin in the photo, or something similar. Gasping is not good at all. Don't use shampoo or soap on him, either. Make sure he's in a warm spot with plenty of fresh drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom