Need Help! My chicken is lethargic and seems sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by btinsley, Feb 20, 2014.

1. btinsley

btinsley New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    North Georgia
    About four days ago, my hen didn't want to go inside the pin at night and was left out. Now she is acting lethargic and won't eat a whole lot. She looks healthier than my other chickens and I haven't had any diseases or sicknesses going around the coup. What could be making her act this way? Thank you for your help!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A hundred things.
    What makes people lethargic? A hundred things.

What is their diet, what is the ventilation like, how long has this been going on, what's your climate?

What do you mean, "looks healthier than the other chickens".

3. btinsley

btinsley New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    North Georgia
    Right now it has been around 60 degrees. This has been going on for about 3 days now. She gets 5 way chicken scratch with laying pellets (haven't changed the feed). I am saying she doesn't look sickly just acts sickly. She actually looks plumper and her feathers looks better than my other chickens.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A sick chicken will fluff itself up.
    Is she actively laying eggs?
    What percent of the diet is scratch and what percent is layer?

Ventilation?

5. btinsley

btinsley New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    North Georgia
    She gets 50% of each. I am not sure if she is actively laying eggs. My chickens lay in their laying boxes while I am not there and they all lay in the same box. I only have 4 chickens and all of them don't lay every day. I let her out when I get home from the coup and her coup is well ventilated. I am new to raising chickens and I have been reading other forums and think she may be egg-bound. Is this something that they can die from if not taken care of right away? Thank you for your help!

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How old is she?
    Egg binding will kill them. I've lost 2 to it. Your bird doesn't have any of the symptoms though. An egg bound bird will continue to visit the nest to try and shed an egg. They will come out and moan, vent will pulsate.
    Scratch grains/treats should make up no more than 5-10% of the diet.
    If your layer feed is 16% protein (which most are) and 50% of the diet is scratch (about 10% protein) that makes a total intake of 13% protein. That's not sufficient.
    How big are the windows/openings in the coop? How many chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by