need help my chickens are sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sager:)silkies, Nov 14, 2011.

1. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    plzzz help me

2. Kansas Gal

Kansas Gal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    I don't know if it is the same as mine, but I had first one, then two, then 6, then 10, etc., chickens who were sneezing and weak. This happened this past summer. My egg production among 45 hens got down to 0-5 eggs a day. I called my vet, took a stool sample in, and she found they had worms! So, I treated them with Wazine-17. I should first say that the hens were having brown diahrrea, and that is the first indicator. As I was working on getting the worming done, noticed the hens beginning to sneeze. I had the vet come out, and he (the second vet) said he felt they had air sac respiratory infection. He said that they may have gotten it because their immune systems were compromised by the worms, and made them less disease resistant. So, I treated with Gallmycin. Within days, it was night and day difference, and the hens began to lay. My vet said that I should toss any eggs for three weeks following the second dose of wormer. (Gave the wormer 2 weeks apart, so five weeks total). The hens began laying well again, and are still doing so three months later (nearly 95% every day!) The air sac infection is very contagious, so I had to quarantine the hens as soon as I saw one sneezing! I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but this is my experience. I will tell you, some of the hens were so compromised, I lost 6 of them. Hope this helps.

3. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Some of my hens are sneezing also. I just thought it was allergies because of the dust they produce throughout the day. Is it alright to give all of them the Gallmycin or should I figure out which ones exactly are sneezing? Also, I just found out that a couple of my hens have worms. I never knew that they needed to be wormed. I am gong to try ground up pumpkin seeds and buttermilk. Is this something you would do? What are your thought on giving the chickens yogurt? I read in another area that you should not give yogurt to them while molting, I'm not sure why. Asked, but didn't get an answer yet.

4. Kansas Gal

Kansas Gal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    As for the Gallmycin, my vet told me to just treat the whole flock at the same time, so I used it in both the quarantined hens as well as the healthy ones,which is probably a good idea anyway.

As for natural worming, I read an article and saved it on the fridge. I don't know if you can get access to any fresh pumpkins this time of year, but here is the 'recipe':

Ingredients:
    Fresh whole garlic (can possibly be mixed into warm oatmeal to disguise)
    Whole vine-ripe pumpkins (split open in halves)
    Unsalted pumpkin seeds (offer enough seeds so that each of your birds can ingest up to 1 tablespoon of seeds daily)
    Large whole raw carrots (beneficial, but optional) (I put mine through the blender to chop them up into fine pieces)
    Dandelion greens (beneficial, but optional)

Directions:
    Once or twice a year, in addition to your flock's mainstay/regular daily chicken feed, also offer the above ingredients free-choice daily for two full weeks.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know that a lot of people on this site recommend Valzene wormer, rather than Wazine-17, which is primarily for roundworms. The Valzene is a more all-inclusive wormer, but I chose to use what my vet recommended, and it worked well for me.

Whatever you choose to do, I recommend that you take action quickly, before it gets out of hand, like I did! I might mention that someone on BYC forum also recommended putting cayenne pepper in your regular chicken feed for a natural way of worming the chickens. They recommended mixing it into the feed until the feed is 'rust-colored', and some also recommended mixing in fresh minced garlic as well. You use it one day, and then wait a few days, and do it again. Apparently, chickens don't have 'heat receptors', so the cayenne ingestion doesn't bother them. However, it is said that once the cayenne goes into the chickens, they can handle it, but the worms can't, and they die and come out in the poop.

I hope these suggestions help you. We are all in this together, for sure!

5. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    So if they are sneezing they have worms

6. georgeandmildredgoose

georgeandmildredgoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    sager:)silkies :

So if they are sneezing they have worms

having worms lowers the immune system leaving them vunerable to other infections. if it was me i would worm them with a good proven wormer, in the uk we have flubenvet.
    as for the sneezing i would isolate the 'sick' ones and watch for other symptoms. then if needed i would consult a vet for advice to treat.
    good luck with it all. [​IMG]

7. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:having worms lowers the immune system leaving them vunerable to other infections. if it was me i would worm them with a good proven wormer, in the uk we have flubenvet.
    as for the sneezing i would isolate the 'sick' ones and watch for other symptoms. then if needed i would consult a vet for advice to treat.
    good luck with it all. [​IMG]

I have a couple that are sneezing, but one in particular has runny poo on top of sneezing. She is still very active. I might go ahead and by the valbazen first, worm them all and than use the pumpkin recipe from then after. I was able to pick up a couple of white pumpkins the other day in hopes of worming. I read in the forum somewhere to mix the seeds, (ground up) in with buttermilk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by