Need help my Comet has stopped drinking and eating.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mccorbin, Sep 9, 2016.

1. mccorbin

mccorbin Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Hi, I am on day 2 with one comet about 10 months old stopped eating or drinking. She appears to have a crawl full of corn but above that seems to be also a lump. I think she ate something and got it hung. I can massage the corn but the knot is hard. Question, should I try and force water down her? I was afraid of choking her since I have no idea what the other hard mass is. She also prefers to stand instead of lay. She is very weak now and I fear I will lose her. Any Help Please.:(

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like an impacted crop, poor thing.
    give her some olive oil with a dropper, then try to massage her crop again. I have done this with success.
    if you cannot get the crop to go down, you may need to seek out an avian vet asap for diagnosis and possible impacted crop surgery.
    also, the "lump" above her crop could be as simple as a larger stone but it also could be a tumor.
    you can perform the surgery yourself if you are able.
    info on impacted crop from member "ruth" -- https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-crop-how-to-treat-your-chickens-surgery-graphic-pic
    good luck with her and keep us posted.

3. mccorbin

mccorbin Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Thank You for the info. I did get her to take a little water with a dropper. I will give her some olive oil also. Will let you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by