NEED HELP my hen has a bad sore on her neck from the Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joker73, Feb 22, 2009.

1. joker73

joker73 New Egg

Aug 30, 2008
    Georgia
    My two children and I have raised 7 Chicks from two days old. They are now 6 months old and the 5 hens all are layin and the 2 roosters are doing what they do to the hens. We are new to having chickens so everything we have learned is from BYC and my local feed store and from talking to any and everyone that I meet that knows anything about raising Chickens. My problem is I noticed this morning 1 of my hens has a bad sore / scab kind of bloody spot the size of a nickle on her neck. And this is around the same spot the Roosters peck at when they do what they do to the hens. What can I put on her sore to stop infection? I am very worried about her. Is this natural for spots and scabes to show up when roos are present? Anyone please advise. Thank you

2. mjane

mjane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Clean it really well with some saline or bottle water. Put wound cote or scarlet oil(antiseptic you can get at feed store or tractor and supply) Try to seclude her for a while if you can til scab is healed.

3. joker73

joker73 New Egg

Aug 30, 2008
    Georgia
    Thank you for your help. I did as you suggested and it seems to be working great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by