Need help my hens aren't laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zeprulz, Jan 20, 2017.

1. zeprulz

zeprulz New Egg

Jan 20, 2017
    My hens aren't laying eggs I have five hens that I got from a lady I brought them home 2 weeks ago and I get only one egg aday what is going on I put a light in the coupe still no improvement the hens are 8 months old

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. It could be that they are taking a while to get used to their new surroundings. Personally, I'd hold off on using lights for now, at least.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This time of year, it can take longer for them to start laying. The days are getting longer now, so they will start laying soon.

4. silly silkies

silly silkies Just Hatched

Dec 3, 2016
    give them food that helps them lay eggs like hen scratch[​IMG]

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

As mentioned previously, it may just be that they're adjusting to their new home. I've had hens take several weeks to start laying again, just from being relocated from one coop to another. I'd give them some time. At this time of year, adding light (if you do it properly) isn't going to help any. The days are already getting longer, so they'll likely start laying for you soon.

6. zeprulz

zeprulz New Egg

Jan 20, 2017
    Thanks everyone ...I sure hope your right..

7. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    You didn't say how old your chickens are, but my almost 2 year olds haven't been laying consistently for the past couple of months. They just came out of a molt plus the days are short. Things should start picking up though. Yesterday I did get 2 eggs.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Moving to a new place takes time for adjustment.
    How are you applying the light?
    Lighting won't likely help this time of year and won't overcome the stress of moving, may in fact add to it.
    Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

Scratch does not 'help them lay'.
    A balanced diet is needed.

9. zeprulz

zeprulz New Egg

Jan 20, 2017
    I'm sorry the chickens were born spring of 2016

10. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    What breed are they? Are their combs red now as opposed to a paler red or pinkish red? My spring chicks were hatched late last spring and they only recently started laying. A very few still need to start.
    Give them a nourishing balanced diet and once they are settled in, they should start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by