Need Help! My Hydrometers STINK!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, Aug 28, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have 3 different ones , did the salt/calibration and they all STINK..
    One reads 55% , One reads 70 and one reads 61

I am just going to buy a really good one. I know there was at least one post with a site about good ones, they were not cheap, but I am getting ready to set eggs next week and I want it to be right, I want a really good hatch, well as good as possible with shipped eggs.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had good luck with the Accurites that I get from Walmart. Have you tried one of those?

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use the Accurites from Wal-mart and a small Springfield, have never had a problem.

4. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    All 3 are Accurites [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Hmmmmmm...new batteries maybe? I don't know what to suggest to you.

6. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I will change the batteries out tonight and try the calibration again. I changed the batteries but they were cheap dollar store batteries, I will get duracells this time. Hope that is the problem [​IMG]

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've had that problem with the accurites and springfields. Then the ones I did get that were close enough to do the figuring, went goofy. I'm done hatching this year but, have decided I'm going to spend a little more and get a good quality one next year. Either a reptile one from a pet store or a hatching one from one of the online stores.

8. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I thought aboput ordering a hatching one, but any ideas who has the best one?

9. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    lockedhearts, if it was me I would just use all 3 that you have and then average them out. The 55-70 is quite a difference but the 61 puts a good average number in there. With my first cheep bator I had the humidity jump in swings of some 50% when turning the eggs. My first hatch was in Feb. with the furnace running and that was a killer on the humidity. In the summer you have so many variables, home temps during the day, air pressure and humidity in the unconditioned house. (unless you run the air 24-7. Good luck, John

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Well, my Accurites are way better than the new Taylor I spent 30.00 on so go figure!...lol..

I just replace the batteries with new each time I hatch and take the batteries out when the hatch is done and let the accurite and springfield dry out....I never calibrated mine and have had 100% hatches ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by