Need help- newborn baby goat

nccatnip

Songster
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Piedmont area NC
I got a surprise delivery of two baby goats yesterday from my doe. I am totally inexperienced in goats and am concerned about their nursing habits. I lost one last night so am scared for the remaining little fellow.
My little guy is warm to touch so I am not too afraid of him being chilled but never seeing a baby goat nurse I am not sure if he is getting enough milk. He seems to be going from nipple to nipple taking small sips. I can sometimes hear him suckle but I am not seeing him latch on and take long drinks like I would think a baby cow would. He just did this and then laid down to rest. He does cry with gusto and is moving about.
Mom is being very attentive to him but is wild so getting my hands on her and helping him nurse of the question. She is a huge Boer so if he needs help I will have to remove him and bottle feed him.
At what point do you intervene?

Try this site maby it will help..

http://thegoatspot.freeforums.org/index.php

I dont have an experince with newborn kids but i have bottle babies.Normally they dont drink alot when they suckle but they go and get more pretty often..If the babie dont reacieve the very vitle colsetrom in the moms milk he is likely to die maby holding the mom down or in a milking station, put the babie under her and direct him to the teat.You can also just tie the mom to the fence with a leash and tie another leash to thae fence then around he stomach of the goat to stop he from moving. If you see her refusing to milk the babie she might have manasites which means her teat arent any good and are toxic to the babies.IF you need to tractor suplly co carrys bottles for goats and milk replacement for them. you may get a bottle and milk the mom to so you can get the colestrom.

I hope atleast some of this makes since,
thanks, Tayler

I just saw your post about the baby goat and I have lots of goats...first make sure her teats are open and the plug is out of it. Its easy to do just squeeze the teat and see if milk comes out. They are really tired when they are born and do sleep alot. They nurse alot the first 24 to 48 hrs because their stomachs are small. The colostrum they get at first is very important. Sorry you lost 1 it is sad when that happens, you did all you could do. As long as he is nursing and she is there for him. Does her bag look big? Feed her alfafa pellets also to help her make more milk. Also worm the momma too after birthing it cause a worm load overdose too and you want her healthy too and him also. Give momma some warm molasses water too for her some energy. I go to www.Goattalk.com and they can help alot too. Also some babies sleep more than others as they are growing alot and resting too. Just keep them warm and out of drafts, not too warm though. You should see a difference soon. Hope some of this help some.

Thanks for the replies- it clarifies alot. There is absolutely no way to confine this goat without injury- hers or mine. She is doing good as far as being attentive and there is no way to try checking teats- she is totally wild and I will not even think of stressing her out by tying. Plus she is huge and way to much for me to handle. She lost a set of twins last year and the original owner was afraid she had not taking care of the babies so I will leave her be unless I need to step in.

If you're not sure the baby is getting enough milk and one has already died AND she lost her last kids then I would say bottle feed the baby of course.

Back
Top Bottom