Need help!!!! No electricity at chicken coop site

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bustnova, Jan 1, 2009.

1. bustnova

bustnova Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Mesquite, TX
    I was wandering if anyone might have an idea how to get light to a coop that is not close to any electrical outlets. My coop is way back in the pasture where I keep my horses. There is no electric there. My chickens are no longer laying and I want to stimulate them with light. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what can be done?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Solar lights would probaly be your best option.

4. bustnova

Jun 9, 2008
    Mesquite, TX
    Should I put them inside or outside of the fenced in coop? Or should I put them in and out to get them laying again?

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    May I suggest you put what you need help with in the subject line? You'll get a lot more responses from people who know more in that area.

6. bustnova

Jun 9, 2008
    Mesquite, TX
    Thanks for the tip

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Does your coop have adequate window space? This is your most important source! [​IMG]

8. bustnova

Jun 9, 2008
    Mesquite, TX
    Yes it does - however since the days have gotten shorter my hens have completely stopped laying. That is why I want more light. I really miss the fresh eggs.

9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I personally would put the light out in the run, so the hens aren't forced to stay out in the light. It is likely they will start staying up later if you do that, and egg production will pick up.

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Bustnova, you don't have your location listed in your profile. Is there a lot of snow where you're at right now, or cold temps. at night?

If you feel that your birds would benefit from more heat at night, it might be a good idea to put the light inside the coop. It might contribute to warmer temperatures in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by