Need Help! Not sure. Warning Graphic Poo Pics! UPDATE in OP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gvntofly05, Aug 16, 2010.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Songster

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I noticed this in the run this morning. None of my chickens are acting ill.

It has been insanely hot here the last couple of weeks and today is the first relief we have had.

Chickens are all up and moving like normal. No one is puffed up or lethargic.

I currently don't have anything on hand, but the feed store is only a 10 minute drive. Should I be worried and do I need to go get something?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Update: I just spent sometime watching the chickens poo and I was able to see some tiny roundworms moving in one chickens poo! So that is probably my problem.

Since most of my chickens haven't been wormed since they were 10-12 weeks old should I hit them with Wazine first?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chirping

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    have your chickens been eating anything except their regular feed that you know of? i find this kind of poo in the coop after we let our hens tackle or mulberries, raspberries, and blackberries when we cant use them up fast enough [​IMG]

if they are just on plain feed you most definately have a problem sorry [​IMG]

3. NC29mom

NC29mom Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Here's the BEST EVER POO LINK:

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Check it out and compare pictures, maybe it will give you some idea as to what you are dealing with. It's amazing all the different POOS that are consisdered NORMAL!

Best wishes!

4. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Songster

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:They have been eating their regular feed mostly, Hubby threw them some cooked squash last night and DD was throwing them cherry tomatoes from the garden yesterday but that's all I can think of.

Yep if they had been eating berries I wouldn't be worried.

5. ChurkLover

ChurkLover In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    NC29mom
    :

Here's the BEST EVER POO LINK:

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Check it out and compare pictures, maybe it will give you some idea as to what you are dealing with. It's amazing all the different POOS that are consisdered NORMAL!

Wow....was that informational!​

6. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Songster

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    How old are your chickens?

7. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Songster

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:They range in age from 7 months to 1 year

8. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Songster

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Hmmm, that's older then what is typically considered the age range for Cocci, the most common reason for blood in their stool. My second thought would be worms, a heavy worm load in a chicken's system can cause bloody stool. Have you wormed them recently?

9. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Songster

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    No it's been quite a while since I wormed them.

My first thought was cocci but I questioned it due to their age and no one seems sick. Maybe worms is what it is then.

I was waiting to worm them since some are up for slaughter this weekend. Maybe I should put that off and just worm the whole flock now.

10. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chirping

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Quote:They have been eating their regular feed mostly, Hubby threw them some cooked squash last night and DD was throwing them cherry tomatoes from the garden yesterday but that's all I can think of.

Yep if they had been eating berries I wouldn't be worried.

I could say that it was from the tomatoes, but it looks too dark for that...its possible that it could be stress from the weather or laying, possibly parasites as has been mentioned. ive never wormed my chickens and they are perfectly healthy, albeit ragged from their last molt. maybe i am just lucky.. [​IMG] but if it were me i wouldnt worry too much unless they started acting strange.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by