1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help . Not sure what we have

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stlfam, Jul 28, 2011.

1. stlfam

stlfam Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    St. Louis
    **Sorry about pic size, working on that now**

2 Of the girls we know are girls, One is laying and the other is getting ready to and being submissive. But the others we dont. Were not sure of exact breed or sex so we are hoping that you can help.

This is Anna, she is a daily layer and I think she is a buff orphington. She was rescued by us not long ago.
    [​IMG]

We thought this was a Barred Rock but not sure anymore and we thought it was a roo but again not really sure.
    [​IMG]

The rest of the 'Girls' we are really confused about

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any and all help is appreciated and Im thannking everyone in advance for looking.

-Myke

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    The one in the first picture is most likely a production red. Not a buff orpington.
    The one in the second picture looks to be a barred rock and could be a rooster, but check the legs/feet, if they have a splash of black on top of them she's a girl if their yellow she's most likely a boy.
    The 2 girls in the third picture: the one on the right appears to be a mix (maybe a polish mix?) and the one on the left I'm not sure about (I can't see her too well).
    The 4th picture: A mix (polish mix?)
    The 5th picture: I'm not too sure on this one. Possible a black sex-link (also called a black star).

3. stlfam

May 4, 2011
    St. Louis
    Here are some more pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The barred one looks like a Marans (or a cross) - the coloring would indicate male, but how old is it?

The other 2 are mixes of some sort. Do they have 5 toes?
    The first is a pullet and the 2nd is a cockerel.

5. stlfam

May 4, 2011
    St. Louis
    the barred one is about 3 months give or take and from what I can tell is that they all have 4 toes. also on the barred on he has featehrs like a stripe from his body to his feet which I though was weird since my laying barred rock doesnt have this.

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The feathered shanks come from the Marans. He's cockerel then with a comb that red at 3 months and his coloring.

He's not a barred rock - they have yellow legs and no feathers on the shanks.

7. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    the first is not a buff orpington, it may be a production red or some kind-of sex-link, but it is very pretty though. and the others have me dumbfounded. [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Agreed that first one looks like a production red or hatchery quality new Hampshire red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by