1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help now! hatching problem!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by hvnsnt3388, Jun 20, 2011.

1. hvnsnt3388

hvnsnt3388 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    As expected, my peahen's clutch of eggs started hatching today. Unfortunately, they started hatching while I was at work. When I got home I checked on her nest and there were 4 hatchlings. 3 were dead and one barely hanging on. 3 were under her and one off to the side of her. there are still 2 eggs under her and they are definitely alive. You can clearly hear them peeping in the eggs! They have not started to break through the shells yet. I don't know what to do! We don't have an incubator to finish them to hatch. Is there anything we can do? I don't know what happened to the other babies. Im afraid to leave them under her. How long does it usually take to hatch once they start peeping in the shell? How long once they start pipping? Should I check every hour, 2 hours, 3 hours? I don't know if she sufforcated them, if it was too hot today (thermometer topped at 106 today), if, if, if.......its gonna be a long night!!

2. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    She could of sufforcated them it hard to say sence you don't have a hatcher to put them in you have to let her hatch them and hope for the best. I have had chicks pip and will be out in 10 or 15 min. and some it would be several hours before they made it out. Hope you can save them

3. hvnsnt3388

Feb 9, 2011
    This sucks! The baby I brought in a put under the eat lamp doesn't seem to be doing well either. I pulled it around 7 and it still has not lifted its head. It peeps somewhat but hasn't tried to stand and will flip itself over on it back. Im afraid its not going to make it either.
    I've been out every hour checking and still no break through but they are really chirping alot in the eggs.
    I was hoping, since they were chirping, I could just bring them in and brood them under the heat lamp or a heating pad.

4. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Sorry you lost babies [​IMG] I hope the little one makes it and the 2 eggs hatch out okay. I've seen some advise here that maybe putting sugar in the water or electrolites will help perk up the chicks, a dropper might work if he's to weak.

My peahen smooshed 2 babies last year while they were zipping, 3 ended up making it without getting smooshed. I was so sad after waiting so long for them to hatch then had to bury some of them. That's why I got an incubator this year....well 2 incubators [​IMG] I think I'm hooked. Had my very first one hatch last week with 2 more due in2 days.

5. hvnsnt3388

Feb 9, 2011
    Well, its been a looong night. Around 1 this morning one of the eggs showed pipping so I brought both eggs in and put them in with the baby that's struggling. I covered the box to keep the heat in from the lamp and around 4 this morning (after a brief nap) I woke up to a new healthy baby chick. The other egg had started a pip hole around the same time but it still has not hatched. The chick is viable (I widened the opening slightly) its breathing and moving its beak but not making any noises. The membrane looks like its dry. Will it finish hatching? Is there something I can do?

I will try a dropper of sugar water for the struggling baby!! I hope it helps!

I was very disappointing to wait so long, checking everyday for the past week, to miss the hatchings and loose babies! I think an incubator is definitely in our future!!

6. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:If the membrane looks dry, you may need to help. Since you don't have an incubator, you have no way of regulating or monitoring the humidity, which needs to be fairly high to hatch well. For now, put a warm damp washcloth or sponge in with them near the hatching egg. If it doesn't progress, chip away at the shell & dampen the membrane.

I had a peachick hatch last weekend who couldn't stand. I gave B complex drops & treated for spraddle leg by making a bandaid hobble and putting the chick inside a "donut" I made from a small handtowel. The next morning it was standing awkwardly and out of the donut. Later that day it was putting itself in & out of the donut. Removed the hobble yesterday & can't tell which chick had the issue. [​IMG]

7. hvnsnt3388

Feb 9, 2011
    I have checked the membrane and the little I pulled on it, its starting to stick to the chick, has a tiny bit of blood on the damp membrane. Is it going to kill it if I have to help it? How much blood is acceptable? I did use a small spoon to add a small bit of moisture to the membrane between the shell and the membrane. Im going to try the washclothe now!

8. trudigale

trudigale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Kansas
    I certainly am NO expert, but have raised chickens, geese, and turkeys for years. I know that helping is not always the best and not always recommended...... but..... I have helped several chicks/goslings with really good success. If you know the eggs piped 24 to 36 hours and still no hatch then your humidity might be low and the baby is sticking to the egg...... I start by chipping a bit of the shell and putting damp sponges around the egg --- sometimes this is all the help the baby needs. If you do notice the baby is drying out or really sticking to the egg, and it has been well past 24 hours really closer to 36 hours you might need to help him out --- slowly.
    Keeping damp sponges around the egg really helps.....

Again, I am not an expert - and I know there is lots of discussion on not helping the babies out - ever! But, I once had an inaccurate humidity monitor that I used for the last three days of hatching..... the humidity was obviously too low when the babies were piped, chirping, and 36 hours later -- very little "zipping" of the egg. I called a friend who talked me through helping one out..... poor little thing was seriously on it's way to dry yellow fluff! I helped the others out and all the babies made it. I helped them down to about 1/2 of the egg and they kicked the rest of the way out.

I do know how you feel----- and I hope that you can save your babies ....... Not sure if I helped or if I will get in trouble for my post [​IMG]
    Trudi

9. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:The OP has no incubator, so humidity is probably going to be a big issue. Your advice sounds very good considering the situation! 99% of my experience has also been with chicken eggs. [​IMG]

10. hvnsnt3388

Feb 9, 2011
    I have checked the membrane and the little I pulled on it, its starting to stick to the chick, has a tiny bit of blood on the damp membrane. Is it going to kill it if I have to help it? How much blood is acceptable? I did use a small spoon to add a small bit of moisture to the membrane between the shell and the membrane. Im going to try the washclothe now!

OOPS, DIDN'T MEAN TO DOUBLE POST| SORRY!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by