NEED HELP NOW!!! Sad babies!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kfisher123, Jul 29, 2011.

1. kfisher123

kfisher123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    We finally secured our coop enough to put our 6 week old silkies in their coop overnight for the first time and when we put them up the ramp into thier nesting area and closed the door they FREAKED!!! My daughters and I felt so bad that we let them back into their run but it's getting dark and I'm sure the raccoons are listening so we need them secured! Do I just let them "cry it out" like I did our "real" babies??? Please advise SOON!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes, let them cry it out- they will adjust to their new home soon- I know it's hard, but a few days in the coop and they will be happy chicks again. In fact it might be best to close them in the coop for a week so that they learn that is where they sleep at night, and go in on their own in the future.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Put a light in there, food, and water and shut the door. They will get over it.

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    It's no doubt going to be scary for them the first time in their coop. But at this point there is no other option--you're going to have to lock them up in the coop. You can watch them closely for a little while, but as it gets dark they should settle down.

Good luck! Please let us know how they're doing!

5. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    yes, i would keep them inside the coop section for awhile, so they get used to it.

my current 'baby' flock took about 2 days, but they know that's home now!!
    it might help to make it smaller (put cardboard bumpers in the corner so they can't bunch up)

good luck!

6. kfisher123

kfisher123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! Maybe we tried to put them to bed before they were ready because this time, once we caught them, and put them in they settled down in about 5 minutes! I think their "nightlight" was a huge help as well. They never go up into their nesting area during the day. I guess I'll just keep putting them there until they learn on their own for bedtime.
    Again, thank you all so much! I feel MUCH better!!!![​IMG]

7. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm glad it worked out! You're on the right track [​IMG]

8. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
  9. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Oh my gosh, doesn't it just break your heart to listen to all that crying?? [​IMG] The first night ours were outside, I had to catch them all and put them to bed. Their temporary home is a big dogloo (fitted with a door made out of a wire dog crate divider covered with hardware cloth and inside a secured, covered enclosed pen). I knew they would be safe, but they sounded so scared, I felt terrible! Plus I worried that all the noise would attract critters, even though I knew nothing could get in to them. Hubby said "they will get used to it". Luckily we had already taken down and disposed of the brooder or I would have been tempted to bring them back inside. That first night though, chasing them around that small pen, hubby had to help me catch the bantam (he kept running under the dogloo), and said "I will not be coming out every night to help you chase chickens." [​IMG] So the next night I went out with a plate of treats, thinking to lure them into their house with that. Well I must have waited long enough, they put themselves to bed! [​IMG] There was still a lot of chirping and noise going on, but I was so relieved I didn't have to catch them and they knew where their bed was! I just had to sneak in and close the door. What a relief!

10. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    Such cute stories everyone. The building of the house for our second flock house kept getting delayed
    due to the weather so I kept them in the basement in a puppy cage for months. I know. Much too long.
    I was letting them out into the garden during the day and shooing them inside at night. They started
    lining up at the basement door when it was time to go to bed, sometimes even knocking at (pecking on)
    the door.

"Let us in!"

So I had already trained them to put themselves in for the night. Unfortunately, I had trained them to
    think the basement was home and to go in there. Oh well. You can imagine how much that complicated
    transferring them to the coop. It took me weeks to get them to go into the coop instead of the basement.

They still sometimes line up at the door begging to come in. Sometimes they hang out by the basement
    window looking in. I am a silly sap so I imagine that they are nostalgic for their basement home in the
    puppy cage and feel bad for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by