Need help NOW!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by countrygirl06, Mar 11, 2017.

1. countrygirl06

countrygirl06 New Egg

Mar 11, 2017
    I bought 9 chicks at my local TSC this evening, got home and put finishing touches on their temporary brooder, went to place them inside and realized..... I HAVE NO CHICK STARTER!!!! Of course the store is closed by then and the ones still open do not carry anything close to it. Any ideas on what I can feed these 1 week and 3 week old chicks for the night? Got about 12 hours before I can get them chick starter...... Thanks in advance to any suggestions

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Do you have some plain oatmeal? Like Quaker oatmeal? They will eat that dry. Crumble it a bit with your hands. That will do for a day.

Three week old chicks, you can finely chop some apple. Also, both ages will eat some boiled egg. Boil some eggs and mash up good.

Also, don't know how nutritious it would be, but plain crushed corn flakes or crushed plain cheerios? Could try that.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG]Welcome To BYC

You can make a wet paste out of cornmeal or oatmeal to get them through the night. If you don't have either of those you can give hard boiled egg.

IMHO you need to provide them with Chick Grit free choice so they can process these foods properly.

Watch to see if they are drinking well - add some electrolytes or poultry vitamins to their water and keep them warm.

1 person likes this.
  4. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    Just a thought, not that I'm an expert, but what about thoroughly cooked quinoa? If you just so happen to have a box sitting on a shelf somewhere. It's supposed to be pretty complete nutritionally, proteins and such. I know my 3/4 weeks olds have enjoyed it as a nice treat to clean off my fingers.

5. countrygirl06

countrygirl06 New Egg

Mar 11, 2017
    I'm not sure what quinoa is so I'm guessing I don't have it lol. I ended up hard boiling some eggs and smashing them up shells and all and added some crushed oatmeal. They are all pretty much sleepin so not drinking anything right now. I'll check them again in the night and morning

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by