Need Help Now!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woman_in_shoe, Jun 25, 2010.

1. woman_in_shoe

woman_in_shoe Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    We were going to take our incubator with us to the ocean, two hour trip. Eggs on day 18 and starting one is starting to get ready to hatch. Plugged in car power convertor and discovered it is broken. Do we leave them here and hope that the kids will check on temp etc or would the eggs be ok if we wrapped up the bator in blankets and took them with. The drive is almost exactly two hours, would they be ok for that length of time?

2. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    i dont kow i hope it works here is a bumb for you! good luck

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    You could also put a container of warm/hot water in the bator to help hold hte temp steady.

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Are you staying at the ocean?

5. woman_in_shoe

May 26, 2010
    Quote:The eggs were not due to hatch till Monday and we were planning on coming home then. Now we have that baby that looks like it wants to come earlier and we are not ready for it. We were going to buy the feeder, water container and chick feed on the way home.

6. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    I know it's not ideal timing, but could you run to the store and pick up a new inverter before you leave? Then you wouldn't have any worries about the trip back home and such.

7. woman_in_shoe

May 26, 2010
    Quote:Nope sorry but that would not go over very well with my already overly patient husband. I am heating up rice and putting it in a pillow case to see if that would hold heat. Want to avoid a bottle because that could roll and crush the babes.
    Plan B would be swing by your house and reheat the rice if it had cooled off by the time we got to Olympia. JK [​IMG]

8. pfmoore17

pfmoore17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    CT
    day 18? Time for lock down. The humidity up to 60% and leave it shut until you get back. should have a surprise!
    i wont move it, but that's me.

9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    And you say there's kids at home who can check the incubator for temps- if they're able to reach you by cell phone or something, you should probably leave them at home. The chick may take a while to hatch, and they don't usually need food for the first 24-48 hours after hatching (they can even be left in the incubator, though I never do, I like to fluff mine in the brooder). The car motion would most likely be bad for those who haven't pipped yet, and it's very hard to control temps and humidity on the go. Aside from that, once they've hatched it's hard to keep them stable on the go, and it will sort of dock your ability to do much at the ocean. Give the kids some responsibility, they have to learn it sometime!

As for the chick food, water, etc, you can take a shallow bowl and put a cleaned stone in the dish, and use that as a water bowl. The stone should keep anyone from drowning in the water- and if you want to, you can cook the stone in the oven at ~250-300 degrees for half an hour and it will sterilize it. Chick feeding bowl can be done the same way.

You can grind up various things for them for a day or two till you can get the actual starter; cheerios, corn meal, oatmeal (not instant), hard boiled eggs, kitten food.... Keep in mind that the chicks probably won't need to eat for the first day (sometimes two) after hatching, so you won't have to worry too much.

10. peachlover

peachlover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    Leave it and don't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by